Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finding a foster home for a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Rescue and Adoption' started by Poochling, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Poochling

Poochling PetForums Newbie

Hi

Hi, I need to find out how to find a foster home for a dog, a (hopefully) short-term one.

Can anyone help me please?

Poochling

2. cherrie_b

cherrie_b PetForums VIP

Maybe you could tell us where you live and what sort of dog you have...someone may then be able to help! :D

3. Poochling

Hi, Surrey, Hampshire and Wiltshire would be OK, basically along the M25 (south) and M3, A303 corridor, pretty flexible.

The dog is a 19 month old Alsatian bitch. She's very sensitive, but delightful, and very friendly, well used to being good with children.

Does this help?

Thanks, Poochling

4. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

HI
    What are your reasons for looking for a foster? Would you be willing to pay for her costs? Is she spayed? If not absolutely get her done before letting someone else take her! I assume you will have insurance for her in case of medical problems? How is she with dogs, cats and other small furries? Is there a situation where the foster may turn out to be long term or is this definately just a couple of weeks? If it's likely to be long term then I would recommend going through a rescue so if it comes to it they can offer immediate help with rehoming.

Most people foster on behalf of rescues because they get the support and back up from the rescue if anything goes wrong, would you have a plan of action if the foster for some reason had to give the dog back?

Sorry to ask so many questions but it's not just as easy as handing your dog over to someone. You also need to ensure you have fully checked out the potential foster home, you could be handing your dog over to anyone!!!

alphadog likes this.
  5. Poochling

Hi JSR,

Thanks for all your thought provoking thoughts on the idea of fostering a dog out, especially if one doesn't know the foster people.

The reason I'm trying to find out about it is that I know someone who has had to leave his rented accommodation and is hurrying to find somewhere else to live, but may possibly only find somewhere where he can't have the dog, but that would only be temporary. He would certainly want to have her back when he found a permanent home which he'd only take on if she could be with him.

Again thanks for your thoughts,

Poochling

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice