Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finding a breeder

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Tamara Brezovszky, Dec 12, 2020.

1. Tamara Brezovszky

Tamara Brezovszky PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone,

i feel like I have finally decided that a cavalier would be the right breed. I have however, been struggling to find a good breeder. I keep seeing puppies on pets 4 sale etc. But don’t really seem to find a good breeder website? Could someone please help me? I am based in London. :)

it would be lovely to receive recommendations from those who have good experiences with breeders already!

2. ShibaPup

ShibaPup PetForums VIP

https://www.champdogs.co.uk/ or the breed club - http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/start.html

The two websites above are a better place to start.

Avoid Pets4Homes - typically the parents haven't received the recommended health tests.

Be patient - Covid and Christmas have sent demands rocketing unfortunately, it means a lot of poor breeders are breeding anything to simply make profit. Good breeders won't have upped their prices for covid - however they have seen a huge increase in people asking them for puppies, so they have a lot of people to get through and sort through to find the genuine people.

I'm also looking for a puppy - it's very difficult right now, patience is key if you want a well bred puppy from health tested, temperamentally sound parents :)

3. DaisyBluebell

DaisyBluebell Earth, the insane asylum of the Universe

As ShibaPup says please avoid anybody who is NOT a proper breeder of the breed or and avoid Pets 4 Homes/Gumtree or the like or you may be letting yourself in for a lot of heart break.
    Cavi's need to have health tested parents as they are prone to heart problems/ear problems & sometimes eye problems when interbread. The breeder should make you aware that the parents have been tested and that the pup has been checked over by the vet and you should be getting paperwork to say as much.
    My first rescue Cavi had an enlarged heart which is common with Cavi's but on med's once I got him at 6 he lived to 12. My second rescue Cavi I sadly had to have PTS at 3.5years as he started fitting and his MRI scan showed a brain tumour. He was put on meds but sadly got worse rather than better.
    Do not let me put you off as they are wonderful happy little dogs & I would have one again if I were looking for a breed dog. Just do be aware of who you buy from and check out the two websites above. Don't be in a rush & once you find your doggie please come back and let us see some photo's. Good Luck.

Tamara Brezovszky likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice