Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

finch help :(

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by lil muppet, Apr 9, 2011.

1. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

both my female zebra finches are on the floor of the cage lookng a little puffed! i can even pick them up! they are usually very flighty :(

2. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

It could be a hundred different things or possible egg binding...even without males present.Whatever it is you have a problem.They need to be put in a small cage with heat of around 80f from a heat lamp.The heat source should be placed so the birds can move away from it into a comfort zone.

Heat very often works but unfortunately you may not be successful.The alternative is to visit an AVIAN vet (Google it)...even then you will need luck.(And money)

I hope they recover for you...if it is egg binding, heat will help them shift the eggs...a bit coincidental both at once though.

If they're on the floor put food and water near them...A bit of liquid glucose (Chemists) added to the water can help.

Let me know how you get on..

PS...Hard boil an egg,grate it and see if they will eat it.

#2 poohdog, Apr 9, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 9, 2011
  3. lil muppet

lil muppet PetForums VIP

really weird but I went to them this morning and it was like nothing had happened! Both bouncing around the cage absolutely fine!

4. poohdog

poohdog PetForums VIP

Hopefully just something mild then..or stress from say a night fright.Replace the food and scrub and disinfect the water dishes in case it's something nasty they've consumed.
    If you have other animals make sure they're not stressing them out by being constantly too close.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice