Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finally understanding the clicker

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Liquidsunshine, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Liquidsunshine

Liquidsunshine PetForums Senior

I thought I was doomed.
    We have been trying to get Sook interested in the clicker for a few days. She didn't seem interested in the food at all. I though I had a *gulp* , dog that wouldn't work for food:eek:

But tonight it clicked.
    We started doing touch exercises with chicken and she just blew me away. I was so happy, is it ridiculous to feel this relieved?:D

We're gonna work on touch, then leave it and then start on sit. She already sits for food, sits and waits for her release cue from her crate, sits and waits for the door to be opened, and goes to her crate on cue.

Now I just need to teach her that my slippers aren't chew toys, and that the bin is not for scavenging :rolleyes:

Anyway, just had to spread my excitement and what better place :cool:

I'll probably be back tomorrow stressing because she won't pay any attention to the clicker again!

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Well done
    i have a great book about clicker training it made it so much easier once i read it, i was amazed at the change in my dog with a clicker

3. Liquidsunshine

I've read a few books, but when she wasn't showing an interest I thought maybe I wasn't going about it right. I spent a few sessions today "charging" the clicker and when she got excited this evening about me getting the clicker out I thought I'd give touch a go, and Hallelujah, it's a miracle she's touching my fingers for a click! ;)

4. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Did you read "cross over to clicker" its a great book,

5. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

Well done, I still can't get it right - must be a bit thick me! :eek:

6. Liquidsunshine

No I haven't, I'll have to look for it on amazon, my OH will kill me, the amount of money I spend on books!

And Malmum, I've probably posted that very prematurely! I can't imagine malamutes being easy train with or without a clicker! ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice