Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finally purchased a decent camera!

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Lauren5159, Sep 29, 2013.

1. Lauren5159

Lauren5159 Lover of Terriers, loser of the plot.

I haven't been around for a couple of weeks. Life got in the way lol.

But on a brighter note! I finally invested in a decent camera... A Nikon D60, I think... It's not the best money can buy but I'm an amateur and just wanted a good camera until I can justify paying quite a bit for an even better one.

So, armed with my copy of 'Dog Photography, For Dummies' and my new camera, I went in to the back garden and had some fun with the boys... Here's some pictures I took :

I still have a lot to learn and I'm still pretty rubbish, but today I managed to get off 'auto focus' and play around a bit :eek:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Sorry, there's so many... I think I got a tad excited lol. If you got this far, thank you and well done :eek:)

I'm just a beginner and it's only a hobbie but if anyone has any hints or tips that will help me, I'd appreciate it :)

2. happysaz133

happysaz133 PetForums VIP

They are gorgeous, and the D60 is a great camera, even if its not the newest, you'll have good fun with it!

What do you think of the book?

3. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Great pics! I love the close ups :)

My friend has a really good camera, I think is a Nikon she has booked on a course with a famous dog photographer but I don't think she needs to go;

Attached Files:

4. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Aww lovely dogs

I don't have a nikon, I have a Canon 60d and do wildlife photography etc.... one thing I would say is do everything Manually, don't use Auto as you can get so much more from doing it manually, obviously I don't mean just do no Auto at all as you said you are new to photography.

Read up plenty about ISO, aperture and shutter speed etc.

Auto focus is easier for a moving target, I tend to use manual when I do macro photography with insects i.e. a bee on a flower.

5. Lauren5159

The book is quite good... She talks a lot just about dogs and their behaviour in general but I have got some snippets of great advice from what I've read so far... I think savvy photographers would find it a bit like sucking eggs but I've learned quite a bit :)

6. Lauren5159

They're amazing!

I'm going to take te camera on our walk this evening. Have a play around and hopefully get some decent shots :)

7. Lauren5159

Thanks for the advice :) I'm trying to get to grips with manual... I'm learning slowly but the manual setting can be a bit overwhelming sometimes lol. Lighting seems to be my downfall at the minute... Adjusting the settings to accommodate the lighting is quite hard :)

I'll get there! Hopefully lol.

8. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Look forward to seeing them later :)

9. Hanwombat

Hanwombat I ♥ dogs with eyebrows !!

Obviously when you learn more, you could buy more things. I have items such as a lens hood and various filters. I'd recommend getting a good UV filter for any good lens you have to prevent the glass on the lens from possibly getting cracked, you put the filter over the end of the lens so any knocks and the filter would crack not the lens :)

10. VickynHolly

VickynHolly PetForums VIP

Lovely photos of two handsome boys.

11. LouLatch

LouLatch PetForums VIP

I think your pics are great, I love the first one. :)

12. Lauren5159

Lol, I think that was a lucky shot... Dexter almost landed on Skip lol :)

13. Polimba

Polimba PetForums VIP

Lovely photos, the D60 is a great camera, good choice :D

I'd always use autofocus for action shots. You will have different modes for auto focus, it's worth spending a bit of time understanding how they work.

In time you'll learn about the different settings, just keep taking lots of photos and try the different settings. Once you get a basic understanding of exposure (shutter speed, aperture and ISO) you'll be away..

But most of all...have fun :biggrin5:

14. Lauren5159

I'm having great fun with it :) I always wanted a decent camera but never knew how fun it could be :)

Thanks for your advice... I'm getting there :) I'm just playing around with all the settings and learning from my mistakes mostly lol... If I get a great action shot on manual, I'm taking note of what settings I used and playing around with different lighting and figuring out how to make the most of it... It's been sunny here the last couple of days so I've been lucky with lighting. It'll be interesting when the harsher weather hits and trying to get decent shots :)

I'm loving my D60... It's too fun! I know have 200 new pictures of the dogs on my laptop lol.

15. Pinktoxicalien

Pinktoxicalien PetForums Member

Hi- The photo's Benboy posted are mine- Congrats on getting your new camera.
    I started off with a basic point and shoot Nikon coolpix then my obsession with photography got a tad more serious and wanted something better. I have a Nikon D5100 now, there is so much to learn, but I highly recommend reading up on photography forums, but best of all, Youtube, which demonstrates how to get the best out of your camera/lenses.
    Not sure where in the country you are, but i have booked onto a dog photography course with Andy Biggar (amazing dog photographer in Cheshire) for the 4th Jan.

Enjoy ! :biggrin5:

16. BenBoy

BenBoy Banned

Its so great to have a hobby like this especially when you have lovely pets to photograph xx

17. Tacey

Tacey PetForums Senior

Congrats on your new camera :) You're going to have a lot of fun :D

18. Lauren5159

Thanks :) I'd love to do a dog photography course in the future, once I get to grips with my camera and become a bit more handy with it :)

You're a great photographer! Your dogs are gorgeous models too :)

19. Lauren5159

Thank you :)

I'm having lots of fun already! I'm hooked lol... I always admire your pictures. They're fab! One day I'll be handy with a camera... I'm still a little overwhelmed with everything it does but it's so fun learning... I've just mastered changing the shutter speed to enhance a photo :) I'm so proud... Action shots are definitely my favourite, so far!

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Those are great photos :D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice