Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finally picking up our bun today...

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Ty-bo, Aug 9, 2009.

1. Ty-bo

Ty-bo PetForums Senior

Very excited! We have the conservatory all set up which he will have the run of and we have a huge indoor cage which will be left open plus loads of boxes, tubes etc and the wife almost single handed (I say almost coz she couldnt use the drill :rolleyes: ) knocked up a reasonable sized outside run too!

The 2 questions I have are:
    1) should we keep him in til hes had his jabs? (which are booked for tues-£11.20 per jab, very reasonable I think!)

2) there are loads of flippin' horsefly things in the coservatory-will these pose any sort of a problem?

Thanks in advance.....

2. emzybabe

emzybabe PetForums VIP

not sure on the jab stuff dunno if its an instant thing or a long time thing. I would swat all the flies in the conservatory they'll just annoy ur bun.
    cant wait to see photos!! :)
    also be careful of ur conservatory overheating/being cold in winter rabbits can easily suffer from heatstroke in a few hours and freeze in winter.

3. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Hiya have the myxi done first, its veyr active at the mo then have the vhd 2 weeks after then allow your bun outside. Thats what i personally would do anyway :)

As for flies, yes they could be a problem are what kind of flies are they? You can get various things like sticky hangers etc to help get rid of them. Blue bottles will lay eggs on bunnies if they have even a slightly dirty bottom and will get flystrike if not spotted.

4. AmyCruick

AmyCruick PetForums VIP

My rabbits live in a conservatory too and I've been getting lots of annoying hoverfly things in, I bought a little fishing net and I catch them in that and chuck them back outside.

I also move mine into the kitchen on hot days as Sugar got poorly once from getting too hot- the vets said rabbits are less tolerant of heat than they are the cold so I'd have a back-up plan for hot days... but if they can get into the outside run that should be ok as they'll get a breeze out there.

Look forward to seeing some pics of your new bun! :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice