Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finally got another dog

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Coinneach, Feb 27, 2020.

1. Coinneach

Coinneach PetForums Junior

It's been six years since our last dog, Timmy, passed away, but we've finally decided the time is right to get another dog. He's an eight-week-old red merle collie named Tuilidh. I'd have preferred to leave him with his mum for a few more weeks, but that wasn't practical.

My family have always had collies, but my last experience of a puppy was a long time ago and I'm hoping to avoid making any major mistakes. The plan is to enrol him (and me!) in puppy school once he's fully vaccinated, but I'd be grateful for any tips on training and entertaining in the meantime. We're currently working on toilet training, getting him to come when called and dropping things he shouldn't be chewing.

Attached Files:

2. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

He’s a cutie :)

Lots of fun (and hard work ;)) in the pipeline :)

Coinneach likes this.
  3. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums VIP

Just watch for any things that you wouldn’t want him to do as a fully grown dog.

For example; jumping at people (that cute puppy thing where they put their front paws on your knees and you give them a big fuss).

Hope you’re doing ‘swaps’ for anything you take from him, so as to not encourage guarding of items.

Other useful stuff for tiny pups is walking next to you (which can be done indoors and is a base for loose-lead walking), going to bed or puppy’s place on command, and, as in the swaps game, bringing things back that you’ve thrown, but gently as he’s still a pup, standing back/not rushing to beat you through doorways.

Loads of things you can do if you think about how you want your puppy to behave as an adult and what to do now to lay the groundwork with respect for his age, short attention span and physical capabilities.

kimthecat and Coinneach like this.
  4. Coinneach

I've got a pocket full of treats/kibble, but I try to distract him with toys first, and I'm trying to stop him jumping up. We were out in the garden for his late night pit stop on Tuesday and next door's dog started barking. He panicked and ran back indoors. Yesterday morning when we went out first thing, the same happened, and since then, he's started picking up gravel in the garden and chewing that, and he's also been biting at the step. Someone said that was maybe an anxiety reaction, so I've been trying to reassure him, but I'm not sure about the best way to tackle the behaviour and I'd rather it didn't become a habit for the sake of his teeth.

5. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

Congratulation on your new puppy . He looks a sweetheart.
    Puppy training is on going , its hard work and you need to be consistent , then you have the teenage stage :D

Easy peasy puppy squeezy by Steve Mann has lots of advice and tips.

Coinneach likes this.
  6. Coinneach

I think he's at the toddler stage just now, so trying to lay some good foundations for the future and hoping I don't make too many mistakes!

kimthecat likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice