Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Finally allowed to get a Dog :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by emilylp, Jul 31, 2009.

1. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Heyy , im 15 and have wanted a dog since being about 4 years old, My mum and dad have finnaly allowed me to get a dog next year in june after i have left school, my mum used to love dogs when she was younger and now shes older has never been to keen on the big dogs especcially so ive been allowed to get a small / medium dog.

we currently own 2 cats which are 13 and 10 years old, i have read up alot on introducing them to each other and so fourth,

My mum sometimes gets the odd sniffle with our cats and it seems she does with long haired dogs as when she has been in contact with my uncles golden retriever (romeo) she got runny eyes for about 10 minutes after she stroked the dog and touched her face, however she looked after there short haired lab for 2 weeks and had no reaction what so ever, and visits my grandad for long periods of times who owns a short haired jack russel and has no reaction to them.

I have been reading up on them alot and have seen they say its the dander in cats and dogs there allergic to? and it says things like have wooden flooring , which we have, vaccuum the house often and clean it ( my mums favourite job lol) and dont let them upstairs, which it wouldnt be anyway.shes only ever been allergic to 2 dogs and they have both been in houses where theres hairs all over and with long haired dogs, she has had actually more reactions too our cats but she only gets allergies on a rare basis.And we all figured that aslong as she washes her hands after stroking him then shed be fine.Ive also read some tips like brushing them outside daily and bathing them once or twice a week?

Im looking at getting a staffordshire bull terrier as 2 of my friends own them and they are frankly my favourite breed :) Some people turn there noses up at this as the bad press coverage they have had, but its the owner not the animal right?.

I just want to know a few things ( even though its ages away i like to be prepared and know everything i should be expecting lol)

1. Female or male? < i know both are probably equally good but which tends to have the best temper ect, and do they both need neutering/spaying?

2.Is crate training a good idea?

3.How much in general does it cost for a puppys full set of vaccinationsso it can be walked outside and not get distemper or anything, and also to b e wormed.

4.while were out my brother will be in as he only has college on thursday and friday i will be back sometimes dinner time sometimes all day and somedays at3-5 depending on the college course i have ( i have 4 months off when i leave school before i go back to college though so plenty of quality time to train her/him and get her used to surroundings) Is it best to keep the dog outside in the wamer months ( will have a dog kennel in there ) or just allow it to go out when he / she wants.I was thinking out in the garden most of the day ( until she/he wants to come in) and then in the house for the rest.

5.how often will a puppy/dog need walking, once in the morning and once in the evening ? for about 30 minutes each?

Thats all for now :)

thanks in advance!

2. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Are you going to rescue?

There are thousand upon thousands of SBT's in rescue centres.

3. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

I was thinking about it , only if it will be a puppy though as i want my first experience to be able to watch it grow up ,

and yeh ive heard ;/ apparently there like one of the most abandonned dog.

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

If you go for a puppy, make sure the parents have been health tested and that its from a responsible breeder.

Do you have an experience with bull breeds?

5. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

I am going to be getting it from a breeder, theres some kc registered ones on the internet in places near me for quite good prices, and you get to see both parents.

Well, my friends have 1 each and my dads friend has one , ive took them for walks ect ect played with them and things, my dads mate got his left outside his garden in a box when it was a little puppy ;/ he didnt realy like dogs but took it in got it checked ect ect and said he wouldnt be without it now.

6. candysmum

candysmum PetForums VIP

First of all Well done for doing the research if only everyone was like you.

Yes its down to the owner not the breed your so right.

ok 1. Yes "Fixing" is somethign that should be done both male and female to save any mistakes in the future anywhere!. I have never found a big difference in the sex when it comes to affection. I have bitches currently and they are very loving. spaying is £200 and neturing £100 at our vets

2. i personnal have never crate trainned i have always trained my dogs to go to their beds and when i say bed they go and stay there until i say otherwise. i have never personally believed in crating them for any reason. when i went out as a pup i shut the kitchen door giving them the kitchen and the dinning room so if any mistakes where made it was easy to clean up. once fully house trainned i gave the run of the house when i went out.

3. a puppy should strt being workmed by the breeder from 14 days of age by the time you get pupp at 8 week it is to be wormed once a month until it is 6 months of age and then every 3 months. Vaccines the first lot is about £50 roughly (depends on the vets) Flea treatment best i have come across is frontline and that is roughly every 6 weeks. vaccines is at 8 and 12 wees roughly again it depends on the vet and the puppy can start going for a walk the week after the second vaccine.

4. this is a hard one its down to choice. IF you leave the dog outside at all times while you are out be cuse the garden is secure it has sheter from the weather and has fresh water at all times. My girls have the run of the house and go in the garden when they want if i am out they stay in. i open the door for them when they ask to be let out.

5. you walk a puppy less than an adult dog. general rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of the puppys age until it reaches 12 months to avoid damaging their soft bones. so a 12 week old puppy would get a 15 minute walk twice a day. a 16 week puppy would get a 20 minute walk twice a day.

good luck

trish
    x

7. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hey, great you are being alowed to get a dog :)

If you are going for an sbt, I would be careful to choose a kc reg one, just because of all the rubbish with pit crosses in the dda. If I was to have an sbt I would want to makes sure I had papers for it.
    And I agree about making sure the parents have had relevant checks.

I don't think either male or female is easier, but both should be neutered at the relevant age to stop any accidents.

Crate training is defo a great idea! It makes toilet training Soo much quicker and easier :)

And as for walking, a puppy needs only a small amount of exercise, but an adult staff I have never known to refuse a walk :D

x

8. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

9. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

Thankyou,

What age to neuter a dog?

Are only 2 vaccines needed alltogether then in the first year? providing there is no health issues and things.

can the dog be wormed at home or is it a vet job?

thankssssssss! :)

10. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Age to neuter a dog is a bit questionable. We had Buster done at 18 months and Silas at 2 years because the vet wouldn't do it before then. However the new cool thing is to have them neutered as young as possible even at 8-12 weeks. I wouldn't do it before 6 months minimum though.
    You get 2 sets of puppy shots 2 weeks apart and you can worm them at home

11. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Hi, the puppy should be wormed every 2 weeks util 12 weeks, then every 4 weeks until 6 months. You can buy drontal puppy wormer from your vet and do it at home.

Puppies have a two course of vaccinations, at 8 and 10 weeks, then that's it for a year.

Females can be spayed after their first season which is around 6 months to a year, and males most vets will neuter from 6 months up, I doubt anyone reccomends any sooner, and the longer you leave a male to be neutered the better.

My vet charges £130 for females and £74 for males, so don't just go to the 1st vet you see, phone around to compare prices. A vet will only be too happy to give you some ideas of prices when you tell them you are choosing a vet.
    My vet also only charges £25 for the puppy jags, and I got a puppy pack with some food, a bown and a toy :)

x

12. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You'd be surprised there's vets recommending at 8-12 weeks a dog be neutered

13. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

Wow, your vets is expensive.

These are the prices at mine:

BITCH SPAY UP TO 20KG £75.00
    BITCH SPAY 20-40KG £90.00
    BITCH SPAY OVER 40KG £120.00
    DOG CASTRATE UP TO 20KG £70.00
    DOG CASTRATE 20-40KG £85.00
    DOG CASTRATE OVER 40KG £100.00

To the OP, obviously different vets will have different costs so it's good to look round for the best one.

14. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

thanks alot guys :D

is there anything special like a toy that a staffy would need cus i heard they have very strong jaws and can rip flimsy toys apart quickly lol

how long in general does it take to house train?

how long can a puppy be left in its crate of a decent size?(just for times when no ones in on the day - thursday and friday)

by teh time i go to college the dog will be 6 months old, is this a trust worthy age to let the puppy to have the run of the living room when no ones in or my brother is upstairs or should it be crated ?

thanks

15. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Get a kong even a black one virtually indestructible or a rubber bone the one thing my dogs have never been able to destroy is a black kong.
    Crate training depends on the individual dog. Some can be trained in a week others take months.
    I wouldn't leave a young puppy in a crate for more than 2-3 hours maximum.
    At 6 months he should be able to have free run of the living room unless he's a chewer in which case you may have to keep crating him or put him in a play pen.

16. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

what is the process of crate training exactly cause ive read ALOT of different things on the internet :)
    thanks

17. EmzieAngel

EmzieAngel PetForums VIP

I agree with what Nicky says.
    I can't let my labrador have free run of the house, because he is a chewer and know he'd chew anything up. So we just let him have free run of the kitchen, which is very big. He was in a pen up until he was a year old.

18. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

You put him in there at night and when you can't watch him during the day. The idea is that they won't go to the toilet in their bed so they hold it until you let them out to go. Otherwise let him have free run of the house but keep an eye on him. mine are still crated at night and they sleep in there during the day too just because they love it so much we did try to move them to beds and they just went back to the crates.

19. emilylp

emilylp PetForums VIP

so everytime they ''go outside'' you praise them and then theyll associate going outside as being good and getting treats?

20. Nicky09

Nicky09 PetForums VIP

Yes take him out every hour or so after play and food before they go to bed and when they wake up. Stay out there until they go and praise and treat like crazy and they'll learn to go outside.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice