Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FIN ROT ON GOLDFISH!

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Victoria Pansu, Apr 26, 2020.

1. Victoria Pansu

Victoria Pansu PetForums Newbie

Hello! I have an oranda goldfish in an 88l tank, I do about 20-30l water changes per week and I have an aqua clear 70 filter and use prime as a water conditioner.

Since the 14th of April my fish has been laying in the coner of his tank so I did a water change and added aquarium salt. The next day I discovered signs of fin rot. His fins were clamped and had like a white film patches over them. Also his pelvic fins had turned red. So I ordered esha 2000 for fungus, finrot and bacteria and I did another water change.

When the medication came the white patches have moved to his head and his tail has been receding. Also his skin under his armpit fins had turned red, he still lays on the bottom of his tank and doesn't respond to me when I tap only when there's food.

After doing the first treatment the redness has gone down. I'm on my 2nd and decided to put him in a 45l tub and I'm doubling the dose as it recommends it for very sick fish. I'm on the 3rd day of the 2nd treatment and his tail is much worse the rot has now moved onto his dorsal fins. The white patches is growing and it's starting to look abit more bumpy and textured in some areas and he's not eating as much anymore. Also his fins are still clamped. He still sits on the floor but is a little bit more active and I think the whiteness on his head has cleared abit.

Idk if this is working. Is there any other good medication? He's a tiny bit more active but the fin rot and white stuff on his fins aren't decreasing.

Attached Files:

2. Victoria Pansu

By the way my ammonia is 0.25ppm, I'm not sure why since I've had my tank since last june and it should be already cycled. It never decreases or increases, it's always been that way. My fish has not had a problem since now. I don't know how to decrease ammonia or if the test kit is testing it wrong.

Nitrite is 0ppm

Nitrate is 40ppm, I'm planning on getting pothos to decrease that since my tap water has nitrate of 40 so water changes won't help.

3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

The white patches look like just normal colour changes to me. The orange colour of goldfish is caused by a recessive gene, and therefore, it's unstable. Goldie's can and do change colour, sometimes throughout their lives. I've heard of completely orange/gold coloured goldfish turn completely white. They can go bronze or black, too.

So to me, that's not a concern.

Is he the only fish in the tank?

I suspect the majority of his problems are down to chronic water quality problems - the high nitrate and the low levels of ammonia. You said in your other thread that he has no ammonia burns, and from what I can see from the pics, that does seem like it's the case. However, detectable ammonia levels don't necessarily show up as black marks on the scales. It weakens the fish's immune system, which would explain the fin rot.

As long as you use dechlorinator while you do water changes, you're right - that tank is cycled. The problem is that the filter just isn't coping with the fish's bioload, leading to the small ammonia reading and the secondary problems of his fin rot and lethargy.

Simply put, you need a bigger filter. And long term, a bigger tank as well. 100ltrs if he's the only fish in there, 100ltrs plus an additional 45ltrs for every extra fish. Get a filter designed for tanks up to twice as big as the tank he's in.

Goldie's are simply that big and messy.

I suspect that with a bigger filter and better water quality, his fin rot will heal itself and he'll return to the fish you know and love. :)

4. Victoria Pansu

Hello, he's the only one in the tank. Maybe add more biological media will help? I don't know any other way to reduce the ammonia.

5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

Yes, but you're still going to need a bigger filter, sooner or later.

6. Victoria Pansu

Ok, is there anything that I could do now because I don't think the medication I'm using is helping. Also here's a picture, I circled the white stuff on his fins and the rot on his dorsal fin. Thanks.

Attached Files:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice