Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fin and went problem.

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Victoria Pansu, Oct 13, 2019.

1. Victoria Pansu

Victoria Pansu PetForums Newbie

Hello, I have and Oranda goldfish that is 2 years old that is alone in an 88litre tank. My goldfish has no signs of wen growth. Also on his dorsal fin there is a few white dots on it. I dont think it's ich since it doesn't look like it and there's no white spots anywhere else on my fish except his breeding starts on his gills and the edges of his pectoral fins and anal fins, but I've read about fin fractures. Where the white dot is the fin seems to bend and doesn't always stay erect.

Also there is a slit on his anal fin and it's not able to heal because his anal fin always gets stuck on the outside of his tail when its mean to be between the tail. It sounds confusing so there's pictures.

Since I've got my fish it was only a few months old at 2.5 cm and is now 9cm not including tail. I know I've stunted his growth since it was only this year, at the end of june that I moved my fish from a 10l to an 88l. Luckily I've upgraded all my fish equipment.

I understand if the wen won't grow due to my mistakes. When my fish was in his 10l tank I fed it saki hikari oranda food but it did nothing. Should I buy it again since my fish is in a bigger tank?

I do 30l to 50l once a week and feed him saki hikari green bag everyday and blood worms once a week.

Ph 8
    Ammonia 0
    Nitrate 0
    Nitrate 40

Attached Files:

2. Bubblychaz

Bubblychaz PetForums Newbie

Hi there,

The "rule" is a minimum of 90L per fancy goldfish.

Looking at the photos, I agree this is not ich.

I would be inclined to say its the start of fin rot.

Personally I would up my water changes (Fresh water is one the main healers). I would do around 20% a day.
    I would start on Esha 2000 (remember to redose any fresh water, so if you do 20 litre water change, treat the 20 litres you put in)

Acraflvin is also a good option, but do not mix it with esha 2000.

You can also add API aquarium salt. Just remember to follow instructions - This can be used with Esha 2000.

Remove all shrimp/snails before treatment as they will not survive it.

When treating you need to bring up the oxygen levels. So agitate the surface of the water as much as you can, You could do this with moving your filter outlet above the water so it creates more movement, or use an air pump or small powerhead (wave maker)

When treatment is over you need to change all water, I would not recommend a 100% water change. I would do 60% today and 60% tomorrow.

I would also try and figure what caused the fin rot to prevent it coming back. Usually water quality is the biggest culprit but there could be other explanations to why this happened. Do some research and see what you feel fits.

mrs phas likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice