Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Filthy ears

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Figaro, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

Should I clean them inside? Rocky's still learning to clean himself thoroughly but his ears are black inside. Maybe it's because he is a white cat that I notice it more than our old cat who had black fur on ears. The vet checked them at his injection last week and didn't say anything or should I just leave it like drs say leave our own ears alone they are self cleaning?

2. havoc

havoc PetForums VIP

It could be ear mites. Did the vet give any flea treatment while you were in for vaccination? If they did then it's unlikely to be mites but if they didn't it's worth getting them checked.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Dirty ears often means an infection, or ear mites. What is Rocky's history -- was he living rough before you adopted him?

How old is he? Older cats often suffer from excessive ear wax which attracts dirt as the wax is sticky.

If he came from a Shelter I would have expected them to clean his ears as a matter of course.

I would certainly clean them, using cotton wool buds and a little pure olive oil.
    Don't go into the ear canal, but just clean the outer whorls.

I would also get the vet to have a look and see if medicine is needed for infection or treating ear mites.

4. Figaro

Figaro PetForums Member

Thank u, he is just 11 weeks old so I will mention it on next vet visit. Otherwise they checked him last week and he's doing great. I forgot to mention it at the 'any other questions' bit at the end. He has no trouble hearing either.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Black isn't normal - sounds like ear mitres. I'd get him checked out sooner rather than later.

6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I agree with Spid -- dirty ears are not normal for an 11 week old kitten.:(
    In fact I have never come across it before in such a young cat. I 'd get kitty seen by the vet a.s.a.p.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice