Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Filter

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Fishnewbie, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Fishnewbie

Fishnewbie PetForums Member

Hi All,

I have Fluval filter. It seems to slowly loose power over a few weeks then completely stop after about a month. I then give it a little clean and it works again.

Recently I bought a new sponge for the middle and this improved the filters greatly. However i am noticing it after about 2 weeks it is starting to slow again.

My question is, is this normal? And should I be cleaning/replacing the sponge inside the filter. My thinking was that this shouldn’t be changed or cleaned to often as it would disrupt the tanks biological environment?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

I have Fluval filters and have never changed the sponges. I take the cartridges out every couple of weeks and rinse them under the syphon as I pump out the tank water. If I think they are looking a bit grubby I take sponges out and wash in old tank water. Every so often I take out the complete filter and give it clean, again in old tank water.
    If/when the sponges fall apart I will part change them gradually, half one side at a time in order not to disrupt the cycle but rinsing or swishing about in tank water shouldn`t disrupt a healthy colony of bacteria. How long has your tank been cycled?

I notice on your other thread you have a possible algae problem, if it is getting into the filter that will cause it to block somewhat and reduce its flow. I don`t keep shrimp or any other type of algae eater, I don`t have a great deal of algae as I keep my tanks relatively dark but I would say if there is so much it is restricting your view there is more than enough for your shrimp and if it is causing your filter to stop then I would be inclined to remove most of it and see if that helps the situation.

3. Fishnewbie

Hi, thanks for your reply. The filter I have is only a 50L and does not have any extra cartridges just one sponge in the middle. I wouldn’t say there is an excessive amount of algae but it is present, I will try and remove small amounts and see if this helps.

The tank has only been cycled for 4 and a bit months this time round.

Thanks for your reply and advice! :)

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think 4 weeks is probably too long to go between rinses. Replacing the sponge if you have no biological media in there will basically mean the cycle starts from scratch as you will have thrown away the bacteria.

Depending on how the single sponge fits you may be able to cut it in half. You can then gently rinse out one half alternatively in old tank water and replace it much more frequently.

What is producing the mulm that is blocking the filter eg plant debris, fish poo etc. If the latter then you are likely to be feeding g too much or your filter is under sized for the size of your tank. I used to have a 60l tank and liked to increase filter capacity by using an eternal filter which was rated much higher than the tank. It increases overall volume if water and has a filtering system that comes better with solid wastes. You can pick them up second hand. I bought mine from tetratec new and they were relatively inexpensive.

5. Fishnewbie

Thanks for the advice. How often would you say I should be rinsing the sponge inside the filter?, it is one sponge that slides in so I will cut in half as you suggested and clean one half at a time.

The filter I have is a 50L and my tank is actually a 25L so in terms of this I think that’s ok?

I wouldn’t think I was over feeding but maybe I will try a little less and clean one half of the sponge at a time and see if this improves things,

Thanks again for the advice.

kittih likes this.
  6. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

You have tetras and shrimp, right? How many of each? And how much/often do you feed?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice