Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Filter sponges

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Burmesemum, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Burmesemum

Burmesemum PetForums Senior

Hi there.

I have had my two goldfish for 5 years and have never changed the filter sponges (I just squeeze them out whilst doing my weekly water change. They have lost their shape and become thin and floppy.

I don't want to completely replace them as they contain the bacteria necessary to keep my tank healthy for the fish.

Can I put some new sponge in with the old one behind the other sort of thing or do I cut some off the old sponge and put new sponge besides it? As there are two of these sponges in my fluval filter should I remove one and replace it with new sponge?

Ive been googling but can't find an answer. Can you please advise?

2. NaomiM

NaomiM Love my furry, feathered and finned family

If there's space in the filter for a new sponge, just add that. Otherwise, replacing just one of the sponges shouldn't cause too much of a problem if you squeeze the old sponge out over it, and maybe dose some Seachem Prime for a few days as a precaution.

Out of interest, what brand of filter sponges are they? I've had mine for over four years and they were second hand when I got them, but they haven't lost their shape or needed replacing...

3. Burmesemum

Burmesemum PetForums Senior

Thanks so much for replying and your help.

The sponges came with the filter. It's a Fluval UV3 I think it's called.

I've read that you should wait until they are falling apart before thinking of replacing/adding to it but I'm worried that because they are so floppy they are less effective.

When I cleaned the tank last week and took them out to rinse in the emptied tank water I noticed that one of them had actually slipped down in the cartridge that holds it.

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

You can replace half as Naomi suggests, squeezing out the old medium onto the new sponge. I tend to put the removed sponged in the water current or near the filter intake for a few days (preferably not in the light) so that the bacteria still on the sponge have a fighting chance of removing ammonia / nitrites whilst the population on the other sponge builds up. Not sure what difference it makes but it can't hurt. :)

NaomiM likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice