Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Films - hand held cameras

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Goblin, Apr 25, 2017.

1. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Quite a few film threads around so thought I'd ask a question...

Anyone else hate films (and series) which use handheld cameras? Often I find I cannot actually watch them.

Dr Pepper likes this.
  2. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

Can't say I noticed those.

What really annoys me, in the age of everything digital, high definition, that there is so much stuff made in dingy shade of green, soft focus/out focus. Films made in the fifties and sixties are fabulous to watch with their bright colours and crisp images.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  3. Creativecat

Creativecat PetForums Senior

The Blair witch comes to mind .
    Yes the wobbly footage normally turns me off . I think they over egg the realism to much they even add cgi of splashes on the camera lens to add realism . It's clever when they make the film look old and blotchy
    I like the way when they have arial dog fights of cgi space ships in orbit and add the realism of bringing into shot in focus as if to bring it into shot. But camera hand held films I don't care much for to be fair

Goblin likes this.
  4. HarlequinCat

HarlequinCat PetForums VIP

Oh where the scenes are all shakey?
    I find that sort rather distracting. I find myself getting annoyed they won't hold the camera still :rolleyes:. I end up giving up.
    I'm not sure what the idea is behind it, maybe they think it's edgy

5. PawsOnMe

PawsOnMe PetForums VIP

Lots of them in the horror genre and some of them make me nauseous to watch, too much running and the camera bobbing wildly. I do watch some of them if they're highly rated but they're not a style I seek out.

Goblin likes this.
  6. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

And the clear vocals. I end up with the sound on 80 with modern films and programmes and still can't make out half the words - then my eardrums burst when the ads come on! :mad:

FeelTheBern and bogdog like this.
  7. bogdog

bogdog PetForums Senior

The only way nowadays to enjoy a program is to record it and play back the scenes not clear first time round.:(

Lurcherlad likes this.
  8. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

OH and I often look at each other, puzzled and ask "what did they say?" in the hope the other has heard it. If not, rewind and play back - several times if necessary! ;)

The other day, we did so several times then just shrugged and gave up - no idea! :confused::Meh

bogdog likes this.
  9. steveshanks

steveshanks PetForums VIP

As long as they don't go to far with the wobbly camera work. Blair witch was a classic to far film, and about as scary as Pip when he was a pup.

Goblin and Creativecat like this.
  10. Colliebarmy

Colliebarmy PetForums VIP

Cloverfield...

Creativecat likes this.
  11. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Good example, 28 weeks later is another one. 1st film was far better simply as it was easier to watch.

12. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I am not sure what the point of the wobbly camera work is. If they are trying to represent the viewer's perspective as if they were there then it is daft. If we run and duck and dive in real life the view we see doesn't wobble everywhere. Our body's muscles, eyes and brain work together to keep our head / image static. If anything, the wobbly image suggests the cameras point of view is some mechanical object rather than us, the viewer being involved.

Siskin and HarlequinCat like this.
  13. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Can't watch them. Luckily it seems to be a dying genre.

14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Another annoyance - leaving the lights off! Netflix is terrible for this. They use a full colour saturation but hardly any light. So you're squinting at the screen trying to see what the hell is going on!

It does make a nice change from the grey wash that every other drama seems to have these days though. The worst I've seen was that serial killer drama set in Sydney last year. Sydney FFS! Where the light is yellow and warm. But no, they had to make it look like a grey day in Grimsby. It was just a distraction for me cos it looked so wrong.

Hinterland is another one. The grey wash over everything is so depressing. South Wales is beautiful but they take all the colour out. And that on top of the moody staring into the distance and the mumbling of the dialogue..... unwatchable.

15. Gemmaa

Gemmaa PetForums VIP

We watched the new Blair Witch film a few months ago (what a crock of :Muted), I thought I was going to be sick and my eyes were still hurting the next day. Awful camera work :Hungover.

Glad I'm not the only one who can't hear anything, I've started watching most things with subtitles.

16. Siskin

Siskin Look into my eyes....

We bought a sound bar for the tv as flat screen tellys don't have very good speaker systems. It helps, but the mumblers still abound.
    It's so frustrating as the costume can be great and in keeping for the era, it could be beautifully shot with sweeping views, but it's mumble, mumble, mumble from the actors.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice