Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fighting the fleas..

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by catz4m8z, Apr 3, 2011.

1. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

what does everyone use for flea prevention??
    I use frontline, although am thinking of changing as I dont think its as effective as it used to be. Also flea spray on the large dog beds and sofa's.
    I must admit Ive had abit of a problem lately coz my washing machine broke down for about a month meaning I couldnt wash the dog blankets/cushions/etc. Means I have seen the odd one jmping about (not enough for a circus but too many for my liking!!:D)
    Also Im not sure what to do about their toys. They have a big toy basket filled with cuddly toys (most of which will probablky disintergrate in my new washing machine:(). Would a flea collar attached to the inside of their toy basket be effective do you think??:confused:

(sorry, if Ive made anyone feel itchy!!LOL):eek:

2. I have not had flea's since 2008 when my cat brought them back from the vets.

We use advocate and VetKem Acclaim house spray.

3. SixStar

SixStar Banned

I give mine garlic in their food all year round, and spray them with tea tree oil spray before walks in summer. They've not had chemical flea prevention in a good couple of years now. Not one flea! and we live very rurally- lots of cattle, sheep and wildlife about, walks are always in the fields and woods.

Hoover everywhere, spray a decent household flea spray (RIP fleas is meant to be good), wash all their beds in a boil wash and treat the dogs, and you should see the back of them. As for their toys, I'd handwash them all and hang out to air dry. The fleas can't live on the toys, only on the hosts (the dogs)- so if the dogs are treated, when the fleas hop on the dogs, they'll die anyway.

4. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Fleas only really jump on the animal to feed as far as I know. The eggs and larvae are usually in the environment. If you are having probs getting rid of them, it usually means that the house needs doing too including carpets floors soft furnishings etc. I used to use acclaim when I had a caat, who did seem to be the major culprit. There are lot of environmental sprays now including the acclaim 2000 that is still going. It might be an idea to think about doing carpets and floors too.

5. OllieBob

OllieBob PetForums Senior

For the toys, put them in a bin bag, spray a long acting flea spray into the bag, seal and leave for 24-48 hours.

6. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I add a small piece of garlic clove to their diet a few times a week and spray the edges of the rooms with Indorex spray. I don't have carpets and i'm sure that's why I never see fleas - so easy to spray and nowhere for them to lay eggs that will hatch.

With toys that are delicate you can put them inside a pillow case for protection, just like you do with delicate laundry items. I wash all the toys every so often and even the rubber ones go in the washing machine.;)

7. Mum2Heidi

Mum2Heidi PetForums VIP

I use homeopathic sulphur, garlic in feed and steam clean the house regularly.

This seems to work best of all. I have cats and they get the sulphur but not the garlic.

I flea comb regularly just to be sure there are no little outbreaks pending.

8. vbud88

vbud88 PetForums Newbie

I use advocate monthly that covers fleas worms etc

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice