Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fighting Sisters

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Sheree Corpe, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Sheree Corpe

Sheree Corpe PetForums Newbie

Any help appreciated I have two girls will be 4 in December. They have lived together since we adopted them at 12 weeks. Moose has always been very timid only has cuddles with 3 people anyone else she will run and hide Tank her sister is very out going and loves everyone. They always used to sleep and snuggle together but the past 6 months or so they tend to fight and Moose will always hiss and growl at her sister. Why do they do this. I just want them to be loving sisters again. Thank you.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Sheree Corpe,

Around the age of 3 years is when cats become socially mature. This leads them to become more protective of their resources and territory. It is all about competition - cats are solitary hunters and once they're mature adults they may not be so keen to share their resources with another cat, not even a sibling they have grown up with.

Your two girls are grown up. It is not that they dislike each other, it is a case that they want a bit more distance and independence from each other. That's why they no longer want to sleep and snuggle together.

My current two girls were the same. They are sisters whom I adopted at the age of 4 months. Always together, playing, snuggling etc. But from the age of about 3.5 yrs they began to want to be more separate. They are now aged 5 and never snuggle together or share a bed. This is not unusual - I found the same with previous kitten siblings once they matured.

The best thing to do is to reduce the competition for resources between your girls. Provide them with plenty of places in the house where they can easily get away from each other when they want to. e.g. several tall cat trees, leading up to sleeping spots on tops of cupboards, wardrobes or bookcases. Never shut them in the same room together.

Also, do not feed the cats near each other. Give each cat her own separate feeding spot, out of sight of each other. e.g. perhaps one on the floor, one on a worktop or table. Do not let them share food bowls or take each others food. Ideally provide them with their own separate microchip feeders.

Litter trays are a valued resource for cats. Ensure there are enough trays for the 2 of them. Three trays is the minimum, but 4 is better (for 2 cats). Spread the trays out, not grouped all together.

Place water bowls in several places around the home.

If they like cat beds, provide a choice of about 6 or 7 in different spots around the house, so they can swap around where they sleep, as cats like to do.

Plenty of scratch posts and scratch pads, several to every room, will be appreciated too.

These changes should help reduce competition and make the girls happier. Let us know how things go?

Photos of your girls would be nice, if you have any to share. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice