Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fighting puppies. Help!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Martin128, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Martin128

Martin128 PetForums Newbie

Hi

We have two 8 week puppies from the same litter (boy and girl) and they keep on fighting. It is mainly over toys, if one of them has a toy the other one wants it even if they are already playing with one. We pull the dogs away and try and distract them with somthing else. Both of the dogs do it so its not one who start the fights. They yelp if we let them carry on. Usally it ends there but somtimes it dosent. We have had them for just over a week now and now there setteld in they have started fighting. Is there any way to stop it? And is there anyone who have had puppies from the same litter who have stopped fighting as they get older. I have had a search and i know having dogs from the same litter is not advised. But please can you help.

Thanks for any advice or storys from people who have had the same problem.

2. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

At 8 weeks let them get on with it, it will be part dominance part play, they cant do each other any harm so they are basically working out whos top. I woulnd worry about it in the least just make sure you interact with them both and that they have enough toys ;)

having said that thers no reason why you cant start giving basic commands... theyll soak up learning around this age ;)

3. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

I would let them sort out their differences. One of them needs to be on top :)

The sad part is you're unlikely to stop the fighting yourself anyway as they're from the same litter.

4. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

I agree to just let them get on with it.:).Unless things get really bad..

Squeena can i ask why people wouldnt be able to stop two pups from the same litter fighting!?

5. sequeena

sequeena PetForums VIP

Well it's possible you would, what I meant to say was they will be more likely to fight because they are from the same litter.

I should go to bed :p

6. hobo99

hobo99 PetForums VIP

I agree with the other posters .
    The other thing is to make sure even at this young age that you spend some time alone with each pup,:) just doing little bits with them , and playing with them separately, as you will need to have a bond with each of them when you do training.
    If they rely on each other all the time you will find it much harder to keep their attention , as they will use each other for company and not have the need for you, which you dont want to happen.

7. DevilDogz

DevilDogz Guest

Couldnt agree more Hobo!:p

Right Squeena i should go too ha ha

8. Yogi B

Yogi B PetForums Member

though this is a normal occurrence with pups from the same litter, I have avoided this by not letting the pups go until 11 to 12 weeks. Majority of this though is dominance it is regulated by the dam as part of the weaning process along with bite inhibition. The dam will tolerate only so much rough play to where it escalates into fighting whether over a sleeping area or toys makes no difference. Once the level of the roughness escalates beyond this, the dam commonly intercedes correcting the bad behavior.
    At this point you are pretty much stuck unless you want to physically intercede yourself. Good luck...

9. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

These posts are really interesting, why is it harder for same litter mates to stop the fighting rather than 2 that are not from the same litter. Is it bacause they "proper fight". When we got our last pup harvey was 8 and she was at him all the time if he got a toy she wanted it swap toys she would always want what he had, i left them to it but harvey at 8 and a pup at 8weeks there was a lot of difference in size and strength so i seperated them after a while he never realy fought with her just warned and layed on her, Why is it going to be harder for these owners not to do the same seperate them for them to have time out without each other.

10. Dingle

Dingle PetForums VIP

I agree this is part play part dominance...

However if the fighting does become a little too agressive/roudy then i suggest you do intervene just like the dam would.

For me the best way to intervene is to clap hands loudly & a good firm NO!

This has always worked for me the pups will find some other form of entertainment for a short while & they will also learn NO means not acceptable

hth

1 person likes this.
  11. Dundee

Dundee Banned

Do you keep them separated? They will need considerable time on their own if they are to develop and mature properly. Puppy play can get very boisterous, but with two youngsters I wouldn't allow it to go unchecked, not only because this can excalate as they don't know when to stop, but the strain on young joints is not something I want either.

While it is play now, it must be remembered that as they reach adolescence it will be much more serious and littermates, because of so many similarities can be more of a problem.

12. Martin128

Martin128 PetForums Newbie

thanks for the replies,
    I am feeling that I have biten off more than I can chew with two fighting pups and to think this will get worse! I am seriously considering giving one up - hard as it will be I think it would be best to do it sooner rather than later. I already love them both - what should I do?

13. Dundee

Dundee Banned

How long have you had them? At 8 weeks you should have only just got them - what is their breeder like? Will they take one of the puppies back? It's a difficult one as no decent breeder would sell two puppies from a litter, so I'm assuming they aren't that great, but they may have had lots of enquiries in which case they may have someone interested who missed out.

If you decide to keep them it won't be easy, it's not twice the work of having one puppy, but triple the work.

Have a read of this - it will give you some idea of what to expect and what you need to do.

Rearing Siblings

Colliepoodle likes this.
  14. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

TBH you are nuts to have two puppies at the same time, let alone siblings. Even experienced trainers would normally leave at least 18 months between pups.

The problem is, as you are already finding out, your puppies will bond/play with each other far more than with you, unless you are in a position to make sure that for every five minutes they spend together, they spend 15 minutes apart.

You will have to spend considerable time training them separately, walking them separately etc if you want them to become anywhere near trained.

I am surprised the breeder let you take them. Most reputable breeders would never allow two littermates to go to the same home. Although it CAN work, more often than not it doesn't.

If I were you, I'd contact the breeder and arrange to return one of the pups. If it's a decent breeder he/she will have no problem taking one back, especially at such a relatively easily re-homeable age.

15. Spaniel mad

Spaniel mad PetForums VIP

My pups are sisters and are 10 weeks old. they also do the same but they are just playing

They dont get rough with eachother and they never whine because one has got hurt.

I do say no but they carry on and lately they have started barking at eachother aswell.

Im not too worried because i know they are just playing. and they never fight over toys.

Their favourite is for Brooke to bark at Stream, run off and Stream wil chase Brooke and grab her tail lol

#15 Spaniel mad, Aug 5, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  16. Spaniel mad

i would stick at it. Mine are great together. They have playtime together and playtime apart. They are also booked into puppy classes which i would recommend. I couldnt imagine parting with any of mine and the house training is almost 100% with them aswell

I spose im just lucky

17. Nicci

Nicci Guest

What breed are they both ? This could also play a big part, especially as they get older.

I'd never recommend getting two siblings from the same litter at the same time, for reasons explained above. I've done the having puppies close together in age, they weren't related, the early days were a complete nightmare.

18. Spaniel mad

Mine are Cocker Spaniels and they get along great

19. Nicci

Nicci Guest

The question was aimed at the OP :)

I think it's fair to say some breeds are less likely to get along than others, it could play a very big part, the fact that they are siblings don't help and more often than not I would expect problems :)

20. Dundee

Dundee Banned

To be fair, they are still puppies - not really long enough to tell - have a look at the article.

You also appear to be a fairly experienced owner. While breed does play a part, I know of one owner of labrador littermates who had no problems until they were older. One day one of the labs got stung by a wasp, had an allergic reaction and was in distress in the corner of the garden. When the owner tried to get to the bitch the littermate (now adults) went for him and bit him. She was protecting her sister who was in distress, and inspite of never having had any problems, the owner still came second, so when an emergency occurred, the deep seated behaviour pattern of littermates surfaced. Yes, people who successfully raise littermates may never be put in the sort of position where they will react like that, but it is still there underneath the surface.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice