Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fighting kittens, help!

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Claireyb, May 8, 2017.

1. Claireyb

Claireyb PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

I wonder if you can help!? I have a 4 month old female kitten and though she could benefit from a play mate so we got an 8 week old female kitten last Friday. They fight constantly! My older kitten is continuously hunting her down. Is this normal and will it pass?

Many thanks in advance x

2. Yorkshirecats

Yorkshirecats PetForums Member

Are they play fighting (ie: rough and tumble, running after each other, wrestling & bunny kicking each other) or are they really aggressive (Ie: Hissing, yowling, drawing blood, clawing etc).

My two kittens (now 9 months) have always play fought. It can be quite alarming to watch when they fully go for it and one of them gets pinned and squeals, or if they have their ears back/backs arched etc. But they don't hiss or growl at each other and they usually go back for more.

As your new kitten has only just arrived it may be that your other kitten needed longer to be introduced? Perhaps seperation and gradual re-introduction over several weeks may be needed if they are properly fighting. Your older cat is bigger and trying to assert herself over her resources and show dominance by chasing and pinning your new kitten no doubt.

That being said- I am a fairly new cat mum myself! So I will leave it to others to comment :)

p.s piccies would be nice :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice