Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Fighting dogs????

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Linda Weasel, Sep 11, 2018.

1. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

I have just been knowledgably informed, by a representative of Battersea Dogs Home, that poodles were bred/were used in dog fights!!
    I said I was surprised at this and she said no, it was true.
    We were actually talking about Staffies having a fighting background and she countered it with her Poodle comment.
    Does anybody know if there's even a grain of truth in this??

2. lullabydream

lullabydream PetForums VIP

No idea without googling I thought they were gundogs

Linda Weasel likes this.
  3. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

First I've heard of it, I wonder where they heard that from?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  4. BlueJay

BlueJay Pee on it and walk away

They use their prodigious curls to ensnare the other dogs and render them incapable of moving.

Firedog, Sarah H, kimthecat and 8 others like this.
  5. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums Senior

Oh good grief. No, it's not anywhere in their history that I know of.
    I think it's one of those OTT apologists for staffies who try to pretend they're not staffies.

Don't get me wrong, I love bull breeds, own one, would have a pitbull in a heartbeat, just love the breed, BUT, they are what they are. Yes they were bred to fight, yes they can be dog intolerant. They're also highly trainable, super handler oriented, awesome with kids etc., etc. But to pretend that they're no different than a poodle (if that's what this person was going for) is not fair to either breed.

6. picaresque

picaresque Mongrelist

Citation needed.

7. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I think of them as originally being bred as water retrievers - thus the coat - I think it was for Duck hunting.

Fighting? Not in my knowledge. They haven't got the build surely.

J

8. BlueJay

Ninjas

9. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

Goodness that seems a strange claim to make! It does sound like she may have been indulging in a bit of `whataboutery` if she made the comments in connection to Staffords having a fighting background. I wonder if, she genuinely believes poodles were bred to fight or have at one point in their history been used as fighting dogs, that she came to conclusion due to the traditional way their coat is cut, could she think they were cut that way for protection in a fight?
    Very odd especially if she is adamant it is true, perhaps it`s been a hidden secret all these years:)

Linda Weasel likes this.
  10. Magyarmum

Magyarmum PetForums VIP

Shar-Pei were bred as fighting dogs and their build is nothing like that of a Poodle but very similar to a Staffy/

A brief potted history of the breed if anyone's interested.

Early History:

Over 2,000 years ago the Shar-Pei was prized as the all-purpose, general utility dog kept by peasant farmers in
    the southern Provinces of China, bordering the South China Sea. The Shar-Pei was used for hunting wild boar,
    and protecting the livestock from predators, but mostly he served as guardian of his master's home. He was bred
    for intelligence, for strength, and for the valued "Warrior Scowl" that increased his menacing appearance and
    helped to frighten the barbarian thieves, against whom the farmers were always at war.

The Shar-Pei was used at one time for dogfighting in the gambler's haven in one of the villages, Dai Lek, near
    Canton in Southern China's Kwantung Province. Because the Shar-Pei had strength, stamina and determination,
    they were frequent favored contestants. Given alcohol and other stimulants, the dogs were pitted against each
    other as a popular sport. Fortunately for the breed, some of the gamblers and fight promoters brought in dogs
    from the west, including Mastiffs, Bulldogs and other similar breeds. They selected dogs with vicious
    temperaments and crossbred these dogs to produce bigger, stronger and more ferocious dogs. Since the native
    Shar-Pei proved to be no match for these fiercely aggressive dogs, breeding of Shar-Pei was neglected and their
    numbers decreased rapidly.

11. 3dogs2cats

3dogs2cats PetForums VIP

The first Shar-Pei I meet was owner by a neighbour to my sister, my sister, having not seen one before and not being obsessed with dog breed books like I was, had no idea what breed they were The owner of the dogs ( she had two) told my sister what breed they were but also commented they were commonly reffered to as Chinese fighting dogs.

Linda Weasel and Magyarmum like this.
  12. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

Really?

I'm sure I read that they stand on their hind legs and bitch slap each other across the face, until one concedes that the other has a better hairdo.

13. Sarah1983

Sarah1983 PetForums VIP

First I've heard. I thought they were water retrievers? Gundogs of some sort anyway.

I have visions of poodles prancing around bitch slapping each other and trading insults in really camp voices now.

14. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

They could lick each other to death I suppose. Though I have to say Candy has a real glare that keeps other dogs at bay so maybe she could win a fight without getting out of her bed.

15. Linda Weasel

Linda Weasel PetForums Senior

Thanks everybody.
    I really couldn't believe that I'd missed out on such an important 'fact' about Poodles!

kimthecat and lullabydream like this.
  16. planete

planete PetForums Senior

The US Army included poodles in their list of war dogs because of their intelligence and trainability for a while during the second world war but they did not cut the mustard as proper war dogs and were removed from the list. Could she have heard of this and wrongly thought that meant they were used as fighting dogs?

Linda Weasel likes this.
  17. BlueJay

:Hilarious:Hilarious

I must have been thinking of sea anemonoodles. Deadly fighters AND hypoallergenic

18. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

And also - Sea Anemonoodles come in a variety of bright colours.

They are easily confused with the more common Shriektasticpranceroo Poodle - noted for their acrylic claws and expensive lip gloss.

19. BlueJay

Aaaah yes! Also known as the Made In Chelsoodle. Not bred for temperament, eyebrow upkeep is a big expense

Linda Weasel and lullabydream like this.
  20. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

surely you are confusing the eyebrows with the Chelsnauzer

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice