UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi there,

my fiance is away on detachment for 4 months and our dog (who is almost 1) has become clingy and whiney in the house and on walks he has become very independent and deaf! It is very frustrating because I have to go right back to basics with recall and maybe changing how we recall him.

My fiance has been away for about a month now and he's still whiney and follows me everywhere, I only have to move a foot or reposition myself on the couch and he's up ready to follow me, he just seems like he's on edge waiting for his next move. Has anyone else experienced this? I take him long walks every day and have a dog walker for the 2 days a week I work all day - even when we come home he will just sit and look at me and whine or we'll be playing and he'll look at me and whine - I have no idea what to do!

Is this just an adjustment to a big change for him and is there anything I should be doing to encourage him to relax? He is well exercised with walks on his own and with friends dogs (his brothers and sister), he gets his kong, stag bar and any other toys/chews to chew and play with in the house but he just won't relax. Maybe he can tell that I'm a bit miserable too and wants to stay close - I have no idea about dog psychology lol!! Also aware that he is still growing and this could be part of it with all the changes that are going on in his body.

I knew he would be affected by him being away but just didn't realise how much and want my happy chilled out dog back so any advice is much appreciated :)

P.S just to add, when my fiance first went away duke had diarrhea and vomiting for a week so he's been checked over by the vet and she didn't think there was anything wrong with him that could still be causing him to be whining

·
Registered
6,420 Posts
Treat him like when you got him at a puppy, don't give him attention when you go about your business in the house and ignore his whining for attention. Its because his daddy has gone away he probably feels vulnerable, but if you ignore his whining and attention seeking, this will decrease in time.

·
Registered
15,290 Posts
I know quite a few people have problems with their dog while their OH is away. Neither of mine have bothered about my hubby going away whether for a night or for a month but it's me who's always done the dog stuff so their routine has never really been disrupted. Does your OH do a lot with him when he's home?

At 1 year old your dog is basically a grotty teenager. It's perfectly normal to need to go back to basics at this point and as long as you're consistent and keep up with training it will pass. Your OH being away probably hasn't helped but chances are this would have happened anyway. What breed is your dog?

Raising a puppy: Dealing with dog adolescence

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much for the advice, he's a very energetic labrador! I have always completely ignored his whining, he comes up and tries to get his nose into whatever I'm doing and again I always ignore this - turns out he is just very persistant but he's got to get the idea soon! I try to wait until he is calm before I do anything and give him lots of attention when he goes in his bed.

My OH did a lot with him, when he was away with work for a week he would take him and he'd take him into work every now and then when he's on nights every few weeks. I have always done a lot of the training but he definitely is a daddy's dog lol! He also played with him the most and I'm sure he is missing that too.

It is just so frustrating that he won't leave me alone in the house then couldn't care less who I am outside! Back to a long line for tomorrows walk! I think deep down it makes my OH feel good that he's obviously missing him ha ha!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just wondering, do you think the fact I have a dog walker now could be one of the reasons his recall has become so bad? It wasn't perfect before then, we were still working on it but 90% of the time he would come back to me, now it honestly is about 10% of the time! Even with treats and running about like a looney making crazy noises!

If I start long line training him again I can't really ask the dog walker to do this with other dogs around, should I be asking her to keep him on the lead or just accept that it will take me a bit longer to get him up to scratch?

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The one I've got says she prefers to take them places she can let them run, I have had to get one quite quickly due to my shifts changing at work with very little notice. To be honest I would rather not have a dog walker while I'm still training him because I know how long I've walked him for and what training I've done on the walk but unfortunately I don't have any other option just now especially with my OH being away and it getting dark so early now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.