Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

few probs

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by mama_abz, Apr 27, 2011.

1. mama_abz

mama_abz PetForums Member

my new 12 month old boxer x staff has a few issues and i was hoping someone could give me some advice on best way to handle them.

- he is jealous, which is a problem as i have a 5 yr old daughter and whenever im helping her get dressed, putting her to bed, or just cuddle her, he tries to push between us. he doesnt get agreesive but still need to stop him as dont want him to view her as a threat.

- he follows me and my partner everywhere and i mean everywhere i cant even shower without him watching! but if we go out he is fine gets very ecited when we get home but calms very quickly.

- scrounging! this is obviously a big problem because of my daughter as he doesnt just sit and stare he will actually try and steal off our plates but no matter how many times i tell him off he comes straight back.

any help on any of the above would be greatfully recieved.

thank you
    x

2. hazel pritchard

hazel pritchard PetForums VIP

Could you put your dog in a room with a stairgate on, when you are with your daughter putting her to bed and when you have a shower etc

3. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

'Jealousy' & following: this is most probably extreme attention-seeking. It's not that he feels jealous that your daughter is receiving attention, it's just that he's learnt that, whenever you are around, he can attention whenever. I would begin by feeding him in Kongs (rubber toys with two holes at the end so you can put his daily meal food in, with some peanut butter, and freeze over night). Whenever you want him to settle and relax, give him one of the frozen Kongs- this should keep him busy for up to half an hour and many dogs are tired out by this. I would also practise making yourself less exciting at times when you want him to relax. Practise giving no contact to him at all- turn your back, don't say anything and wait until he moves away for a few seconds. When he does, praise and give him a short cuddle.

Food stealing: I would generally put him in another room whilst you eat and give him a Kong toy to eat for himself, if possible. In the meantime, begin by working on a solid 'Off' command. Here's Kikopup's method, which is excellent:
    YouTube - How to teach 'leave it'- without intimidation

You don't need to use a clicker, you can just work by using a word like "Yes!" to mark the point the dog does something right, like leave and back away from food. Then you can praise and reward with food. Short sessions of this a day, slowly building up distractions, will allow you to have the dog in the same room as you at dinner and him not stealing food. When you get to this stage and he voluntarily doesn't steal anything, give him huge praise and a Kong to get stuck into!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice