Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fetch obsessed

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Biscuit123, Jul 17, 2018.

1. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Hi!

So I'm a little worried about my dog. She will grab her golf ball and sit by the door. So I'll let her out and she'll start poking at her golf ball. I'll pick it up and throw it for her. And we'll start a get of fetch. But she can't stop herself so once she looks a bit worn out I'll stop and leave to go inside. But she won't go inside and just keeps on poking at her golf ball. But eventually she'll come in. Then after that she'll sit with her ball right next to her and sometimes she'll even bark at the other dogs to protect from the other dogs. I don't what to do as she seems positively obsessed over her ball. But likes to play fetch also, any suggestions?

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Hi. My neighbours border collie was like this. In order to solve this I would, after a short game of fetch, take the ball say enough and put it away out of sight and smell. We would then engage in some other activity like some training or tuggy to divert him.

Dogs with obsessions can keep going past exhaustion and you are right to be concerned.

I would also make sure I chose when the game started.

Very ball focussed dogs are great to train as they have a reward that is such high value. I got the BC learning all sorts of tricks and behaviours just for the chance for a chase of the ball.

My only concern would be that golf balls are hard small and can fragment and swallowed. Depending on the size of your dog they can be a choke hazard.

3. Jackie Lee

Jackie Lee Banned

Teach your dog a command for when fetch time is over. Always use the same command, such as “all done” or “that's enough,” to indicate that a game of fetch has come to an end. Limit access to the object of obsession. When it's not playtime, the ball or other fetch object should be kept high up and out of sight.

4. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Bin the golf ball as they are not a safe toy for dogs to play with and offer her something else. You need to teach her to play with several different types of balls/tuggies/toys so that she doesn't become totally obsessed with just one.

5. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

I meant to say tennis ball. How are they not safe for a dog to play with?

6. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Tennis balls are a different matter. Kitth has already explained why GOLF balls are not safe.

O2.0 and Torin. like this.
  7. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Well is there anything wrong with tennis balls?

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

No. I use tennis balls with my dogs.

Biscuit123 likes this.
  9. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

It depends whether your dog is a chewer. My neighbours border collie loved tennis balls but his favourites were the kong tennis ball look a likes with squeaks inside.

For chewers they can gnaw off the fabric coating and swallow it and then possibly get bits of ball stuck in their throats so they need to be supervised. If your dog doesn't chew then it isn't a problem though I wouldn't leave one lying about just in case. Depending on the size of the dog different size tennis balls would be more appropriate.

As @Twiggy says it is a good idea to get a dog obsessed about a few toys. The BC I looked after had a hierarchy of balls that were favourites. A pets at home baby blue squeaky ball for puppies won over everything else even other dogs. His yellow squeaky ball was a general fetch and do almost everything for as long as the squeak still works followed buy squeaky tennis balls followed by non squeaky tennis balls. Balls attached to rope were juts about acceptable if there was anything else but the Frisbee was en par with the squeaky tennis ball.

As long as you regularly check the tennis balls for damage and supervise their use then they are ok OP

O2.0 and Torin. like this.
  10. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I don't leave balls out at all but then my boy was OCD about toys when he first turned up.
    The only time balls come out is if we are doing something with it because they are a high value item that I use to my advantage in training :)

11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

..... and can break teeth, too

kittih likes this.
  12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The nylon 'fluff' on the outside abrades the teeth and damages the enamel - wears them down. Rubbery balls such as Chuckits of 'bald' kongs are better.

kittih and O2.0 like this.
  13. Biscuit123

Biscuit123 PetForums VIP

Thank you I have a Kong rubber ball with no fuzz I can use

14. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Totally agree. Tennis balls are only used here for training.

StormyThai and Biscuit123 like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice