Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ferret show

Discussion in 'Ferrets' started by Marcia, Jul 12, 2009.

1. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

2 weeks today is the annual ferret show at Bawtry RSPCA.

Has anyone ever entered their ferret into a show before? What do i need to do to prepare my boys?

If anyone else is interested in going, i can post details :)

2. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

Hi well a ferret needs to be friendly, they dont get marks for this but any that bite get disqualified.

They are awarded points on coat condition, nails, eyes, ears, sometimes length of tail comapred to body but this sounds like a fun show so i woudnt worry, just make sure your ferrets ears are clean its amazing how dirty some fererts ears are, dont use a cotton bud but wipe gently round the folds with a baby wipe, clip your ferrets nails slightlty before the quick a WEEK before the show this gives them time to round off again otherwise they will be squared and lose points, any longer than a week before the show and they start growing again.

You may want to brush your ferret but it wont make much difference really, dont bath as it makes them produce more oills and jusdges liek ferrets to smell like ferrets other than this have a good time, wish i was closer :)

3. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

Hi There

ferrets do get judged on there temper not just for not biting they will loose a point if they wriggle too much so the calmer the ferret the better really. They normally get judged on:

Handlability
    Eyes
    Ears
    Teeth and gums
    Nails and paws
    Coat and skin
    Posture (the way they walk)
    Proportions: (how they look ie are they too fat)
    colour: how good are they - (each judge is different)
    Skull and face (the shape)

each catigory is 10 points so the most a ferret can get is 100 but thats very rare.

I would recomend cutting your ferrets nails a week to ten days but this will really depend on the judge again weather or not they like long nails. You should clean the ears the night before the show and the morning of the show before leaving, you can use cotton balls with warm water on that usually lifts it all out, a little tip if the ferrets live together you could put abit oilve oil in there ears and they will all lick eachothers ears but dont do this on the morning of the show. if you want anymore help then feel free to pm me.

Marcia likes this.
  4. Pampered pets

different shows are different and judges look for different things, as its a fun show i woudlnt imagine they would be as strict as say the national shows or qualifier shows.

Colour is judged, for example a polecats mask but these are nothing you can do anything about.

I was steward two weeks ago at a show, they didnt award points on temprement but one that bit was disqualified and one was so wriggly it coudnt be judged but they didnt actually award marks for this.

so long as your ferret is healthy clean in good condition with clean ears and clipped nails i woudnt worry, just go and have a good time and i hope you win :)

5. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

yeah i did say that but was just trying to outline what they would look for. so they had a better idea.

6. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Thanks for the advice :)

Neither of my boys are biters but one of them is a bit wriggly :rolleyes:

To be honest, i'm going more for the day out. Plus i get to meet other ferret owners and there's going to be a ferret race too :D
    I thought i might as well enter the actual show as a bit of fun, although if my boys do come back with a ribbon, i would be extremely pleased :D

7. animallover111

Good luck at the show......please let us know how you get on.......we have two ferrets :) DK is fab if you need any info he has been very helpful to me in the past.....and Betty and Bert are very greatful to uncle DK........:D :D

DKDREAM likes this.
  8. Pampered pets

You will have a lovely day out :) i find it very hard judging there are so many lovely ferrets it takes me ages lol

I only enter the more laid back shows, i think once it gets to the qualifier stages and the more serious shows it loses the fun and becomes more competative :( not for me.

Its always nice to get a rossette, mine are like wallpaper al over the walls lol it feels like someone else likes your ferrets too.

Ive had a year off this year from shows and PR so cant wait for next year to come a round.

9. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

it is a great day out you'll be happy you went but at some shows they sell baby ferrets too so be warned lol

10. Pampered pets

Yes even though its illegal, mainly the worker type shows i found or these country type shows, i always want to get them all as they have obviously just left mum and i feel so sorry for them lol im a soft touch.

I dont think there will be any for sale at your show as its R.S.P.C.A, i woudlnt imagine them allowing animals to be sold, just as well if your a soft touch like me lol

There are 12 for sale in my local pet shop, one lot had no food and they get fed tinned cat/dog food :( not a great start to life.

11. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

i didnt know it was illegal to sell them like that just knew it happens. its a shame about the ones in the petshop its ok being fed cat food once in a while but as you say its not the best food for the start of life. I hope they get good homes what colours are they...... sorry Marcia for hijacking your thread x

12. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

No problem :)

I wouldn't have said that they'll sell any kits either. The RSPCA wouldn't allow that :)

13. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

thats true but theres alot of things happen that people dont like i personally dont see any probs with it because the chances are ferret lovers would get the kits but can see the down side too.

14. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

I don't see the problem either. Surely the RSPCA would rather that breeders kits went to loving homes where they wouldn't end up in rescues etc. But the RSPCA are mind baffling (sp) at times :)

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

they seem to be abit over the top at times really. I respect the work they do but dont like the RSPCA for personal reasons, i feel they try and find faults in anyway they can sometimes.

16. Marcia

Marcia PetForums VIP

Totally agree. I don't think they care about animals as much as they say they do. I know that there are people within the RSPCA who are dedicated and loving but most of them are a pain in the backside :rolleyes:

DKDREAM likes this.
  17. Pampered pets

I dont like the RSPCA either, wont get on my soapbox though :)

Good news the kits are now all in rescue being fed meat and ferret food :)

18. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

thats cool i'll give you both rep when i can :D

19. Pampered pets

who is both and what is rep LOL :) its late and my brain cant work it out lol

DKDREAM likes this.
  20. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

you and marcia rep you get from people green blobs mean good red bad.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice