Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fergus had his stitches out

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Cazz enigma, Jan 20, 2012.

1. Cazz enigma

Cazz enigma PetForums Member

All clear for Fergus today, so stitches out, no more cone, and he can walk off lead now too :D

Also after being concerned about his lack of weight gain, after a week of increasing his food, he's gone from 6.4kilos to 7.2 so really pleased :D

Asked vet for advice on his coat, as he always looks really scruffy, his coat never comes up a nicely as Finnleys after a good brush. Vet said its very dry, maybe add oils to his food may help. Anyone any ideas on a good one I can try?

2. Cazz enigma

These are the ones vet suggested, but didnt have in stock

Yumela - Viacutan - Etavet (not sure if last spelt right, can't read his writing)

3. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

4. Cazz enigma

They were on Symply puppy, turkey and rice.
    Now on Burgess puppy. Which seems to agree with them nicely, and with Fergus's weight gain.
    Sardines :eek: hubby would have to do as I can't even look at fish lol.
    Think he would be too small for a whole tin? How much, and would a introduce a small amount at a time, in case it upsets his stomach.

5. Cazz enigma

Just looked at the fish4dogs link.. Has anyone tried this one. Seems really good, the one at the vets if I ordered it would be £30 for dispenser.

6. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

I wouldn’t say a whole tin would be too much for most dogs, but its down to your dog maybe he is a little small for a whole tin. The sardine tins I get are pretty small (maybe 2 tablespoons?), I feed two a day but then I would feed more if my dog had any allergies or skin issues (I don’t have much experience with small dogs however)

I would say definitely start slow if your dog has a delicate stomach, I would start with a teaspoonful a day and see how he goes.

I haven’t tried the fish for dogs oil personally, but I've heard lots of good things. I feel the stuff the vets prescribe can be overpriced and from reading online reviews of some of the names you mention, I would say fish or coconut oil would be just as good. :)

Edit// Make sure you buy sardines in fresh water, not oil or brine.

#6 Dober, Jan 20, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 20, 2012
  7. Cazz enigma

Ok lovely, I will give it a try.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice