Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feral cat tips

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Etienne, Mar 28, 2011.

1. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

Hi all
    I have been feeding a feral kitten of about 10 months old on and off since Christmas. I just call her puss puss and she response to that name. She has been neatured by the CP and has been returned to the same site. CP people believed her to be too wild to be rehomed.
    I can stroke her before and during her feeding and I can even pick her up if I need too. She is more timid if I approach her just to try and talk or even try to play with her when there is no food about. My cat Shadow doesn`t seem jealous that I am outside with her and in fact they both seem to like being close to each other even though, there is a pane of glass between them. It is too soon to try and home her, but I would like advise from anyone who has been through similar experieces as to what I can do to inproove her wilder side. She is a totty and I have been told they can be very timid at the best of times.

Thanking you all
    Steve

2. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

This little cat does not sound "feral" to me.If she was truly feral you would get nowhere near her.Being Tortoiseshell to my mind is a bit hit or miss in the behaviour department.I had a Tortie who was a very sweet natured cat but others have been cats with" Tortitude."Continue to encourage this cat to come to you ,use food,treats,play what ever makes her receptive to your presence.It is a very slow,gentle process but it can be done.I had a male,semi feral who lived outside in a shed for years .He was,on his terms,friendly, but it took a while to gain his confidence.After many months of gentle,consistent encouragement he became a house cat who slept on my bed.You have done so well with these cats ,I hope you can go on to help this one too.

3. Etienne

Etienne Dad to Puss and Shadow

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice