Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Female Whippet Marking Behaviour

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by James Mallaghan, Apr 6, 2019.

1. James Mallaghan

James Mallaghan PetForums Newbie

Hi All

I have a ten month old female whippet who, since shortly before her first season at eight months old, started marking on walks.
    Even after her season ended this behaviour continued. She frequently marks on walks (sometimes performing acrobatics to reach certain areas). This, in itself, does not bother me but, on three occasions over past two months, she has marked in doors. This happened twice in my mum's house - she has a male (neutered) dog who my bitch loves to sniff. The other time was in my house and was in the exact spot where, ten minutes earlier, she was eating her very first pig's ear.

I'm fairly certain this is territorial - perhaps connected to strong or unusual odours?

I'm fairly certain it's not a toilet training issue. She has been house broken for a long time, always goes to door etc - plus when she's marking, it's only a very small amount.

I'm fairly certain it's not anxiety - she's a very easy going dog: loves people, is around other dogs at daycare a lot (LOVES other dogs), travels well, isn't alone too often but seems fine on odd occasions when she is, is never phased by loud noises, new settings etc. (Obviously I don't know what goes on in her head but her behaviour never suggests anxiety).

She is due to be spayed next month so I'm hopeful this will help with the marking. As I say, it's only been three times in a few months so it's not a major issue, but would be interested to hear people's views.

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

Dogs tend to mark 'over' a scent. As I see it, it's a 'I've been here, too and I've left my scent over yours'. I have one female (unspayed) who has always marked over other dogs pee and does a leg lift, too. She's outgoing and confident. As with male dogs it does tend to have it's roots in hormones but also becomes a habit. I find marking quite fascinating to be honest.

Two of my small dogs roll on new meaty treats and pigs ears to cover the scent (before eating them) so this must be something about the smell of the actual treat which they feel the need to 'cover'.

Hopefully spaying should help but spray cleaning areas where marking has occurred before and being aware she has the habit (and feed pigs ears outdoors!) should also help.

J

Linda Weasel and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. James Mallaghan

Thanks for that. Yeah, it does seem to be strongly connected to smell. I've cleaned the area in my house with a variety of enzyme cleaners so she's shown no further interest in it (fingers crossed).

4. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

I have an almost identical situation with my bitch. She will mark on walks at least as much as my boy does, often spending a long time sniffing in a particular place but marking there before she moves on. She usually cocks her leg to mark.

She has also marked in someone else’s house 4 times that I recall (and she’s nearly 9 years old), usually on the resident dog’s bed. It’s a very puposeful action, nothing like an ‘accident’.

We rarely go to anyone’s house who has a dog these days but if we do I keep her on a lead for a while until she settles, since the marking tends to happen when she first gets there.

She looks all sweetness and light but she’s actually a bossy bitch!

5. James Mallaghan

She's in houses with female dogs fairly often and I've not seen any indication of marking - just seems to be around my mum's male dog. He is neutered but she's always sniffing his bits (flirt!).

Is your girl spayed?

6. McKenzie

McKenzie PetForums VIP

Yes she was spayed at 11 months.

James Mallaghan likes this.
  7. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

One of my bitches is a serious marker! I am a bit nervous of her in other peoples houses just in case. She has marked on a friend's big thick rug. Sorted by lifting the rug when we visit. She has also marked along the viewing passageway at the indoor school. She is 10 now and was spayed when she was about a year.

8. James Mallaghan

I'm hoping it reduces after spaying but, if not, I'll need to keep her on lead when visiting others. Sigh. Lol

9. SusieRainbow

SusieRainbow Moderator
    Staff Member

I have a dachshund who used to mark a lot. When I first got her at 4 yrs old I had another, older girl and Reena would mark everywhere Tango had been - beds, floors, outside . It did work to our advantage with house traiining as she would follow Tango outside and mark her wee . But it was a massive pain in the neck, I couldn't take her visiting or leave her in a room unsupervised ,even with me in the same room she could squat and wee before I could stop her - she would mark any food smells including dropped crumbs from the
    grandchildren.
    She was spayed just before her 5th birthday which helped a bit, not a miracle cure though.However ,my old dog Tango died just before Christmas and Reena hasn't marked since ! Not the cure I would wish for at all!
    I just hope she doesn't regress when and if we get another dog but suspect she probably will.

10. margy

margy PetForums VIP

My JRT marks all along our walks, up trees and walls in fact most of our walks are spent with her sniffing out places to mark. She was spayed at 9 months but I've caught her trying to mount my cavie Suzie a few times much to Suzies bemusement

11. James Mallaghan

Thanks a lot for the response - and sorry to hear about Tango. Hope you're doing ok.

SusieRainbow likes this.
  12. James Mallaghan

Poor Suzie! Lol

margy and SusieRainbow like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice