Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Female spaying advice needed!

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Callidora, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Callidora

Callidora PetForums Member

Hi all, I’m after some Gatsby related advice (again)

It’s been 14 years since I’ve had a female cat neutered, and my memory is more than a little fuzzy.
    Gatsby is an incredibly energetic cat (think feline parkour) and I’m wondering if I need to take a little time off work to watch her after spaying. She’s coming up to 7 months soon so I’m keen to get her done ASAP, but time off at work is a little difficult around the Christmas/new year period.

Also, does anyone have any recommendations for an almost impossible to remove cat onesie type outfit? My previous female wore my daughters babygros, but obviously 14 years later I don’t have those anymore, lol! And Gatsby is literally a master at whipping off the cones, her record is 5 seconds flat (her head is really tiny)

Thanks in advance for any advice

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Callidora - none of my female (or male) kittens over the years have ever needed a cone or a surgical suit after being spayed and nome of them bothered their spay wound. A sniff and a bit of a tentative lick and then without exception they left it alone.

Cones are very stressful things for cats and kittens to wear and can cause more trouble than they save. It would probably be better to be with her for a couple of days and check she is leaving her wound alone.

As 7 months is late for spaying - has she already started coming into "call' (heat) ? If so, the vet would be likely to prefer to spay her when she is between calls (heats) as there will be less bleeding during the op.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  3. Callidora

Hi @chillminx I think she has in the last couple of days (I could be wrong), it’s hard to tell though because there’s not much of a change from her normal behaviour.
    Yes 7 months isn’t ideal but she’s been unwell since the day we adopted her and she’s only now coming out the other side, this is something that has been discussed at length with the vet and we both wanted her to be off her medications by the time they spayed her.
    I was on maternity leave still the last time I had a female spayed, so I was home anyway, and she did try pulling at her staples hence the need for a babygro.
    Would the vet be able to confirm definitively is she’s in heat? I don’t want there to be anymore risk than there needs to be

4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

I think the vet would go by behavioural changes reported by the cat's owner. What changes of behaviour is she showing that might indicate she is in call?

I am sorry to hear she has been unwell since you adopted her, bless her, and understand the reason for postponing the spay op.

5. lillytheunicorn

lillytheunicorn PetForums VIP

I have spayed a 7 month old kitten who was as mad as a box of frogs. The vets did put her in a spay suit at my request and I removed it 48 hours later, more for my peace of mind as we had 3 other youngsters who liked to roughhouse. Within 48 hours the wound had started to heal.

Callidora likes this.
  6. Callidora

@chillminx, yes I didn’t feel I had much choice but I have to admit it hasn’t sat well with me leaving it so long, I haven’t personally had any cats get to the point where they come into call, but I’ve heard it can be maddening if they’re very vocal.
    To be honest, if there is a change in her behaviour then it’s minor, she’s definitely sleeping less than usual (until recently she would curl up next to my daughter and sleep most of the night) and she’s cleaning her ‘area’ more than before. But everything else is the same, she’s always been batty, wild and very affectionate. Ive booked her in for two weeks time, so hopefully if she’s in oestrus it will be finished by then-fingers crossed! And thank you for the advice, it’s much appreciated x

@lillytheunicorn lol! Sounds much like Gatsby-I have to say, I’ve never had a cat (neither male or female) Have a change in personality after spaying, but I’m terrified Gatsby will. Her nuttiness is one of her best qualities. I think a suit will be the best way to go with her, and after speaking to the vets today I discovered they offer them, which is a weight off my mind. She’s curious about everything, literally everything, so I know she’ll try to mess with a wound

chillminx likes this.
  7. lillytheunicorn

Vets prefer not to spay a cat in estrus as there increased blood flow to the uterus so it takes them a little longer to perform the surgery. However vets do spay in heat. Blue was spayed at the same time as her c-section and Phoebe was spayed mid screaming call. Phoebe was done in heat as she had been pretty much in heat for 6 weeks by this point continuously and as it was during lockdown I couldn’t mate her and couldn’t leave her like it. From a recovery point of view there was no difference although our vets preference would still prefer to spay out of heat.

8. Callidora

@lillytheunicorn it’s good to hear your girl recovered well after being spayed in heat, however the thought does terrify me still. I’m hoping either I’m wrong and she hasn’t reached maturity yet, or that she’ll be well out of oestrus by the time she has her op. Although I have been told that even if the heat cycle is over it can take a further few weeks for the uterus to contract again, so it’s still much like performing the spay whilst they’re in heat. Gatsby is only my second girl, I’ve had boys my entire life, not on purpose, it’s just worked out that way bizzarely-but planning a boys op is so much simpler!

9. lillytheunicorn

@Callidora Phoebe was found to have bulky uterus when spayed as she had been continually in heat. I have put a picture of her incision the day it was done, she wasn’t put in a spay suit as she was older and less crazy plus I had one at home if she did decide to investigate.

It’s also unlikely you girl is in proper heat they aren’t usually quiet about it. She could be a silent caller but they aren’t that common.
    D34FA8C9-5482-4E49-891B-7293EE00609E.jpeg

10. Callidora

Oh bless her! The incision looks so tiny though, so that’s good! It’s been 14 years admittedly, so I could be remembering it wrong, but I’m sure my first girl Ziggys incision was on her side, or is this not possible?
    Gatsby is quite vocal when she’s in the mood anyway, she’s a bit of a drama queen and likes to squawk if she’s left on her own for any length of time, even if it’s 5 minutes. I haven’t noticed her being more vocal than normal though, so I’m hoping I’m wrong. It’s the little things like the not sleeping as much and cleaning herself there more frequently that make me think she might be, but I could be reading more into it. You’ve put my mind at rest a fair bit talking about your girls, thank you x

#10 Callidora, Dec 29, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2020
  11. lillytheunicorn

@Callidora Gatsby’s will likely be a flank spay if you are in the U.K. with the incision on her side. Should be a similar size, though. Mine have midline spays either they are done at 14 weeks so have to be midline or due to my preference as they are show cats and semi long haired. Which means the patch of fur is less obvious.

Callidora likes this.
  12. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Must be your vet's preference to do mid-line at 14 weeks, my previous vet did flank at 12-13 weeks.

Callidora likes this.
  13. Callidora

Yes I’m in the UK, it’s a relief to know my memory about her incision site isn’t that bad then, lol! My vets wouldn’t even consider doing a spay at 14 weeks. Ziggy was spayed at just under 5 months at my previous vets, but our current one won’t spay until at least 6 months old. Which, for Gatsby wasn’t a problem because she’s been unable to have the op and also she was very small for her age, but ordinarily I think I’d have gone elsewhere for the procedure. It’s quite nerve wracking leaving it so long

14. lillytheunicorn

Interesting, when we takes some young kittens for neutering I will ask. It certainly takes longer for a midline and as they aren’t going to be shown that doesn’t matter. Might stop me worrying about the dislodging each other’s stitches from bunny kicking. In all fairness to our vets the incision is tiny and she glues and stitches and we haven’t had one damage their spay.

15. Callidora

I wonder why my vet practice won’t stay until 6 months? I would have imagined size and weight would be a better indicator

16. Babyshoes

Babyshoes PetForums VIP

As I understand, the old advice was to neuter cats at 6 months, so that's what many vets were taught and still follow. Newer teaching says that size and weight are the important metrics to follow. Vets who work with rescue organizations will (I've heard) often go on weight rather than age, so the kittens can hopefully be neutered before going to new homes.

Callidora likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice