Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Female/male bonding help please?

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by niki87, May 20, 2010.

1. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Hi A few months ago I reluctantly put up for adoption my beautiful blue mini lop doe. I have three bunnies...her, one (i think) french lop x mini lop buck, and one adopted lame no-good-for-breeding- silver doe. My buck, jet, bonded with my other doe, Rainbow, and over the summer I will have them neutered so they can live together. But my blue doe, Saffy, fights with the other girl and Jet only wants her for...well...you can guess!

So I put her up for adoption, hoping she would go to a good home with male company.

However, suddenly, she has gone really soppy with me...like she knew! So I don't think I can now! I well up thinking about it!!

So...was thinking of getting her a male companion. I am not an experienced breeder so I was thinking a neutered male. But is she likely to get on with him then if she isn't getting bunny "loving"? She doesn't get on with my female as I have said...so is she likely to be one who needs to live on her own?

2. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

She should be spayed for health reasons anyway and definetely if you want to bond a neutered buck with her. Id get her spayed and rescue an already neutered buck :)

3. niki87

niki87 PetForums VIP

Oh ok...she needs to be done first? xx

4. Zippstar

Zippstar PetForums Member

Yes, ideally, and given at least a month to heal and get rid of all her girly hormones and settle back down - you could get the buck before but make sure they aren't together - separate them with dividers so they can see/smell but not touch.

5. crofty

crofty PetForums VIP

Yep and let her hormones settle too. 80% unspayed does develop cancer of the uterus unless they are being bred from then the risk is slightly lower.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice