Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Female jack attacking male.

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by noola28, May 30, 2010.

1. noola28

noola28 PetForums Newbie

Hi can anyone please help. My female jack russell who i have had for two years has started to attack my male who i have had for seven months, she has allways told him off if needed but she is seriously attacking full on now she clings to his face and has cut it all up a few times. We are so worried that one will get seroiusly hurt that we have to keep them seperated. The female first went like it just after her season . I dont think they mated as i did not see them locked at all. Iam really upset as it is not nice to keep one in and one out at different times. I feel cruel to the female but it is all we can do at min. please has anyone had the same prob or know what i should do . thanx

2. noola28

noola28 PetForums Newbie

its your darling daughter and take her vets :eek::);):rolleyes::thumbup::lol::arf:

3. Fleur

Fleur Vassal to Lilly and Ludo

If you think they may of mated and it wasn't intentional; I would speak to my vet about the mismate jab.
    Sounds like as the male is maturing she's not as tolerenat and being hormonal is really not happy.
    I'm not very experienced, so hopefully someone wil be along soon.
    I would consider getting them both neutered in the mean time keep them seperate when you can't supervise them.

4. leashedForLife

let me be sure what i am reading her is not misleading me, noola -

do U have 2 intact terrierrrists in the same household -
    an INTACT 7-YO Female and a ? unknown-age INTACT Male?!

IMO if that is correct, **forget the mismate jab - get her spayed immediately, and then get him neutered. **
    THEN - after both have been desexed and had 2 to 3-weeks to recover, i would strongly suggest finding a pos-R trainer
    with aggro-experience, and begin B-Mod before re-introducing the 2 dogs to one another - IOW keep them apart
    from now, thru their desex-ops, thru their recovery, and THEN with the help of a COAPE or APDT-uk trainer,
    only then have them meet one another - with calmatives already on board, with the trainer there to monitor,
    and in a very controlled and safe way.

if this impression that i got above was correct, IMO this is entirely due to poor management and an irresponsible failure to
    BOTH spay the F -years ago- and desex the M at an appropriate time - generally 6-MO in dogs not intended for breeding.

this was not, IOW === the dogs fault === IM professional opinion.

if i am mistaken in any way, please do explain?
    thank U,
    --- terry

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice