Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Female in heat: sweet and sticky?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by MadlyPeanut, Oct 29, 2018.

1. MadlyPeanut

MadlyPeanut PetForums Newbie

I got a 2nd cat back in May from someone off Facebook (after local shelters didn't have any cats that could live with another cat). I was told she was around 2 years old and had been feral for her first year; her previous owner didn't neuter her.

I named her Jelly (because I didn't like her other name and my other cat is called Peanut).

I've tried to get her spade but it's taken until now for her to warm up to me (she's practically a baby now); the first week she bit me so hard there was blood everywhere and I had to get a tetanus shot - so she's not spade yet and won't be until I think she won't try and murder the vet.

Jelly's an indoor cat, and when she goes into heat around every 3 weeks she tends to spray on things; I never smell anything until I accidentally put my hand in it or pick up something she's done it on, and it's always sticky and sweet smelling? Almost as if I'd spilt cola or something and let it dry a bit.
    I tried Google but it just kept telling me that when a female cat sprays it's this foul smell - but Jelly's isn't like that.

As far as I can tell she's healthy, maybe a bit skinny but she did go a long while of only eating once a day until she stopped being scared of me.

I'm looking to take her to be spayed as soon as I think she'll be comfortable enough, but if this is a known sign of something that needs medical attention I'll take her asap.

2. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Please get her spayed ASAP. Vets are used to handling stroppy cats including ferals, and until she is spayed she is likely to be more hormonal and tempremental. Each time she comes into call she is risking pyometra, and each call slightly increases her risk of breast cancer. Suggest you discuss her temperament with the vet when booking her in. Do that for the following week when she comes into call, as she will be out by then. Do you have a top-loading carrier? Ideally a wire carrier? They are much easier to use for unhappy cats. Vets have big gloves to make sure they don't get hurt.

sandy-cat, chillminx and MadlyPeanut like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice