Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

female dogs has dark cloudy urine

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by gus316, Apr 19, 2011.

1. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

Hi iam new here, i need some advice

i have a femaile lab that has diabeties and a thiroyd problem shes getting meds for that.

i have noticed that her urine has been for a while cloudy and dark yellow maybe for a month. i have taken her to a vet and done a urine urinalysis and blood test and they both came back fine, i have taken her back recently for another urine and culture (cup not needle) test i havent got the results back yet

i have been really concern that it could be something bad
    what can be cauesing this? can it be something thats not showing on the test

2. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Could it be something to do with the medication she is taking?

3. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

i dont think so she been on the meds for about a year and seen this change in her urine for about a month i was thinking maybe her food but again shes been on that for about a year as well

4. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

i think it change about the time she went into heat, she is unspayed.

5. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I would await the results and go from there.

Has the vet seen her since her season?

6. mumtobruce

mumtobruce PetForums Newbie

Is she drinking ok . It sounds like she isn't getting enough fluids but honestly I am not sure. Keep an eye on how she is drinking just in case and good luck too xxxxxx

7. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

her urine did look fine one day the morning i took her to the vet, i thought great the day your going to the vet your going to start to urinate normal

the only thing that was done different was the day before it was hot and she did drink more water and in the night i gave her a chunk of beef with her dry Hills WD diabetic food

but now her urine's back to dark cloudy

8. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Has the vet done tests for crystals in her urine or bladder/ kidney stones. Usually if urine is dark, it can mean that its too highly concentrated. Concentrated can then lead to crystals forming in the urine and even bladder/ kidney stones. You would have to double check me on this one, but I notice you mentioned she is diabetic, I think there can be a link to crystals, bladder and kidney stones.

Infection can cause the urine to be darker/cloudy too.

If he hasnt done any tests already, it might be worth mentioning to him to see if he thinks it might be a possibility.

9. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

the previous urine test done she did have a small amount of crystals no bladder or kidney test have been done

10. gus316

gus316 PetForums Newbie

every urine test she has gotten and there was alot maybe every 2 or 3 months theres always been very little crystals to none in her urine

11. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

If they have done haemotology and biochemistry and that came back clear then all the internal organs would/should be working fine I would think.
    If the crystals in her urine are none to very little then maybe thats why he doesnt think stones forming would be a problem so not worth checking out.
    I think the only way you would find those anyway would be xray or possibly a scan. Obviously he doesnt feel there is a need to do that so cant think its a possibility. Infection could cause cloudy urine I think, dont know if dogs with diabetes can be more prone to bacterial infections. Then again Urinary tract infections usually cause them to pee and drink a lot more than usual mostly.
    Maybe with the diabetes and if she doesnt drink as much as she ideally should maybe thats the cause of darker concentrated pee.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice