Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

FeLV to vaccinate or not?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by gemmaeabishop, Nov 24, 2012.

1. gemmaeabishop

gemmaeabishop PetForums Junior

Hi!

What do people think about vaccinating an INDOOR only cat against feline leukemia? Our boy is an only cat and is absolutely indoor only, should we still get him vaccinated? He will never need to go to a cattery - we have plenty of friends and family who would care for him in our home if we needed to go away (we don't usually as we miss him too much...!) :eek: Any advice appreciated! I guess the reason for asking is we worry when we take him to the vets or that he could contract it off shoes or something, although from research it seems this is not possible?! Thanks in advance!

2. cuddlesmycat

cuddlesmycat Guest

Indoor cats don't need the leukemia jab my cat doesn't have the annual cat flu jab/booster with the leukemia element in it as she doesn't share the house with other cats. I think you are only meant to have your cat protected against the leukemia element if you have a multi indoor cat household or if your cat roams outside as they catch leukemia from other cats they come in contact with cats who are carriers of leukemia or are infected by leukemia via grooming eat other, biting each other, sharing saliva etc (http://www.healthcommunities.com/feline-leukemia-virus/transmission.shtml). It is highly unlikely your cat will contract leukemia at the vets because if a cat has to stay in at the vets for treatment they are housed in individual cages and don't have contact with other cats. Humans can't pass on leukemia and cats can't pass leukemia onto humans, FELV isn't an airbourne virus either and can only be passed on via cat to cat bodily fluid contact (Sorry for the graffic description).

You should, in my opinion, still get the annual cat flu jab/booster to protect your cat against cat flu though :)

#2 cuddlesmycat, Nov 24, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  3. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

That's probably why Gracie hasn't had the Leukemia jab then :)

4. jo-pop

jo-pop PetForums VIP

I wont be updating my cats leukaemia booster this year..
    He's indoor only and inthink catteries only require the usual jabs anyway

5. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

I always suggest that indoor only cats have it as kittens, then have their 1 year booster. After this point, cats generally have a high immunity to it anyway, so I see little point in updating it after this point. However, even though all of my kittens go as indoor only, I have it done because we all know that accidents happen, and if one of mine managed to escape and contracted it before coming home again, I'd never forgive myself for not having helped prevent it.

6. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

Agree given that fact this is a very serious disease, I've always had mine vaccinateed. Additionally one has to think ahead, while I'm aware of the transmission route, what if your pet was hospitalized?

7. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Surely hospitalisation wouldn't be any more likely for them to contract it? Cages are disinfected, and cats don't have contact with each other while there.

I have my breeding girls vaccinated because they are going to stud, and tupically, the Persian stud owners favour letting them run together as they do tend to take a while to settle.

8. gemmaeabishop

gemmaeabishop PetForums Junior

Hi,

Thanks very much for all the posts, I don't think we'll get him vaccinated as he is not in a multi-cat household and he is 100% indoors. Thanks again!

9. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

But that goes against everything that we have all said! The risk of vaccination is tiny. Perhaps the risk of him getting out is tiny too, but as his safety cannot be guaranteed short of caging him when you leave, I just wouldn't take the chance. All it would take is one careless person to leave the door slightly ajar, a gust of wind, and it could happen. Please think very carefully, I urge you. i did a lot of soul searching prior to vaccinating thisyear's batch of kittens, but I'm glad that I did.

10. sarahecp

sarahecp Crazy Cat Lady of Bucks

Both my boys are vaccinated against it :) they do go outside, even if they were innies I still would, as there may be a chance they could escape, I'd rather be safe side and also gives peace of mind :)

11. Ianthi

Ianthi PetForums VIP

In theory yes. However, I always take the view once they're out of our jurisdiction then we effectivelysurrender our control. For instance, a cat managed to escape from a neighbouring practice once as evidenced by all the posters in the locality-slightly extreme perhaps but it just goes to show what can actually happen!

12. carly87

carly87 PetForums VIP

Point taken. I never even considered this as a possibility, but I suppose even vets can become complacent and less watchful when opening cages.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice