UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After the bashing I got today on here I felt so horrible on Sully's walk, I've had agoraphobia, panic attacks and anxiety for eight years and it's always difficult walking Sully but today I was so awkward and unsure that I made a **** of myself.

I once found this forum helpful but today has been such a horrible experience because of it.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
Sorry to hear it affected you in this way. I know talking about certain things can set off anxiety (I suffer from it too) so sorry if this triggered it. I only hope this subsides and you can take away the positives from the discussions?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I didn't see any bashing on the thread I replied to; just constructive advice :confused:. I feel for your problems and know it can be hard sometimes (I've made a prat out of myself because of mine before) but you have to try and put them and any feelings you have about posts on here aside and just concentrate on Sully.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I dont think anybody intended for you to feel bad about walking Sully or to exacerbate any of the problems you experience, I think we just wanted to make you aware that not every dog owner, or every dog, likes to be approached by others, for whatever reasons.

I didnt see it as a bashing, more like trying to get somebody to understand how their actions may affect others, and I also thought there was some constructive advice given.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
I didn't see any bashing on the thread I replied to; just constructive advice :confused:. I feel for your problems and know it can be hard sometimes (I've made a prat out of myself because of mine before) but you have to try and put them and any feelings you have about posts on here aside and just concentrate on Sully.
I dont think anybody intended for you to feel bad about walking Sully or to exacerbate any of the problems you experience, I think we just wanted to make you aware that not every dog owner, or every dog, likes to be approached by others, for whatever reasons.

I didnt see it as a bashing, more like trying to get somebody to understand how their actions may affect others, and I also thought there was some constructive advice given.
Snap, lol!

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
Sorry you feel this way -I've not read your other threads so can't really comment.
Best advice I can give is look at the advice you agree with and think you can work on and ignore the rest ;)

Take a few deep breathds and remember tomorrow is onther day.

I see you're in Hampshire? I am to - near Gosport if you ever want a walk on the beach with 3 very naughty small fluffies let me know :)

·
Registered
5,695 Posts
Why would it be?

Do you experience panic attacks or anxiety?
I do as it happens. :)

But I didn't mean it like that :). It's just from what I read everyone was being helpful, and given the current amount of threads based around this being a horrible forum, it's hard to tell the difference.

So to the op, I meant no offence.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
I`m sure you didn`t make an a**** of yourself it just feels like that sometimes. Honestly if you saw me somedays with mine you wouldn`t put me in charge of one of them pull along toy dogs never mind three real life ones!!

Everybody has bad days with their dogs especially in the young dog stage, nobody is bloody perfect.

I too have anxiety and when things go wrong or you feel like they are going wrong it is very easy for it all to get blown out of all proportion, things that I worry about my OH dosn`t even notice.

Take it easy, Sully sounds a lovely dog ok so she is keen to run up to other dogs but that is something you can work on, really that is not a problem that is unique to him most young dogs want to do just that mine certainly does, you can work with him and it will be fine.

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
I`m sure you didn`t make an a**** of yourself it just feels like that sometimes. Honestly if you saw me somedays with mine you wouldn`t put me in charge of one of them pull along toy dogs never mind three real life ones!!

Everybody has bad days with their dogs especially in the young dog stage, nobody is bloody perfect.

I too have anxiety and when things go wrong or you feel like they are going wrong it is very easy for it all to get blown out of all proportion, things that I worry about my OH dosn`t even notice.

Take it easy, Sully sounds a lovely dog ok so she is keen to run up to other dogs but that is something you can work on, really that is not a problem that is unique to him most young dogs want to do just that mine certainly does, you can work with him and it will be fine.
:lol: You're not wrong there. If you were around longer and saw some threads about me running after Kes when she's stolen kids footballs you'd feel much more calm about Sully's behaviour no matter what happened. I must look like a right tit and afterwards I always feel like bursting out crying. :eek::D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Thank you for such a supportive reply, he is getting brilliant at "stay" already so I can incorporate that into his "keeping away from other dogs" when the time comes so that's an up side. :)

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
:lol: You're not wrong there. If you were around longer and saw some threads about me running after Kes when she's stolen kids footballs you'd feel much more calm about Sully's behaviour no matter what happened. I must look like a right tit and afterwards I always feel like bursting out crying. :eek::D
It's good to know I'm not the only one, I was beginning to feel like the worlds worst dog owner!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
It's good to know I'm not the only one, I was beginning to feel like the worlds worst dog owner!
If you're not questioning things you probably don't care enough imo. :) So long as you're trying the best you can at that time there's no shame in anything you do. I have serious problems with Kes running up to dogs at times, and it's not so bad with a dog like Sully being so small and calm, but mine is the opposite being massive and never calm which is a complete nightmare. When I feel crap about it I like to remind myself of all the things she's really great at like sitting in the car very nicely, never chewing things etc. All dogs have good and bad points, but they're a lot easier to train than us humans are. :D

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If you're not questioning things you probably don't care enough imo. :) So long as you're trying the best you can at that time there's no shame in anything you do. I have serious problems with Kes running up to dogs at times, and it's not so bad with a dog like Sully being so small and calm, but mine is the opposite being massive and never calm which is a complete nightmare. When I feel crap about it I like to remind myself of all the things she's really great at like sitting in the car very nicely, never chewing things etc. All dogs have good and bad points, but they're a lot easier to train than us humans are. :D
You've got that right! I've been working on training my OH for years and I still can't get him to make a cup of tea on command!

·
Registered
8,888 Posts
You've got that right! I've been working on training my OH for years and I still can't get him to make a cup of tea on command!
I've been reading Karen Pryor's 'Dont Shoot The Dog' recently and she talks a lot about using positive reinforcement to influence people around you, I might try it out and let you know about any resulting hot drinks. :lol:

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
After the bashing I got today on here I felt so horrible on Sully's walk, I've had agoraphobia, panic attacks and anxiety for eight years and it's always difficult walking Sully but today I was so awkward and unsure that I made a **** of myself.

I once found this forum helpful but today has been such a horrible experience because of it.
If you suffer from agoraphobia and panic attack and anxiety I would have thought that having your dog on a long line would VASTLY decrease these feelings as you would not have to be anxious about what your dog does? :confused:

When you are anxious I find people tend to be MORE careful rather than less.

It is just logic.

If you have a dog totally under control then you never have to worry about him getting lost, getting run over etc.

When you ask for an opinion, be sure that you really want one.

You should be proud that you are asking questions, many people go through life never challenging themselves or others.

It is natural to feel a bit despondent at times when you think you were doing well only to be told that what OTHERS see is an entirely different picture.

That is life I am afraid.

There are plenty of things in life you CAN control, doing so will increase your confidence and eventually improve your abilities to cope..

·
Registered
2,562 Posts
You have to be really firm with him. Pin him down, growl in his face, show him who's pack leader. As a last resort I have heard dry humping sometimes works! :sneaky2::lol::lol:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
If you suffer from agoraphobia and panic attack and anxiety I would have thought that having your dog on a long line would VASTLY decrease these feelings as you would not have to be anxious about what your dog does? :confused:

When you are anxious I find people tend to be MORE careful rather than less.

It is just logic.

If you have a dog totally under control then you never have to worry about him getting lost, getting run over etc.

When you ask for an opinion, be sure that you really want one.

You should be proud that you are asking questions, many people go through life never challenging themselves or others.

It is natural to feel a bit despondent at times when you think you were doing well only to be told that what OTHERS see is an entirely different picture.

That is life I am afraid.

There are plenty of things in life you CAN control, doing so will increase your confidence and eventually improve your abilities to cope..
If I thought I was doing well I never would of asked for an opinion.

An opinion I listened to and worked with so clearly I wanted it.

As for my anxiety, how incredibly patronizing of you to presume to know how I feel.

At this point it's like dealing with a dog with a bone, why are you constantly hounding me?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.