Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fellow Westie Owners

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Westie1, Aug 27, 2013.

1. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Wanted fellow westie owners for support and advice. Having dietary issues with my 14 week old westie and I'm slowing losing the will to live. :(

2. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

Oh, dear. That sounds ominous. I have an 8 year old westie bitch. She is my fourth westie. My other bitch was nearly 20 when we lost her, and we also kept two of her sons from her one and only litter, and they reached the grand old age of 18.

I think their long and healthy lives are down to good genes and good luck as well as good care, but I'm happy to help if I can. What is the problem you're having?

3. Knightofalbion

Knightofalbion PetForums VIP

A very warm welcome to the forum.

4. Fluffaluff

Fluffaluff PetForums Member

Welcome to the forum!

Im a new westie owner so probably wouldnt be much help BUT if there is anything i can do im more than willing!

5. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I'm not a westie owner but I'd listen to your problem. What sort of dietry issue is it?

6. new westie owner

new westie owner PetForums VIP

7. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Hello thank you for your response, Max is having dirreahea with what ever dog food we have tried. We are currently back on chicken and rice to calm things down. We are about to try (we more days of chicken and rice first) James Wellbeloved.

8. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

has he had food allergy testing done?

9. Nikkitta

Nikkitta PetForums Newbie

Wow!! 20!! That's amazing! :)

10. lostbear

lostbear Bear right at Newcastle . . .

As Wiz suggests, if he has persistent diarrhoea he may have a bug or an allergy of some type and need a vet check.

I know the foods that are suggested to be good for loose stools/allergies are

Autarchy
    James Wellbeloved
    Nutro
    Wafcol
    Burns
    Skinners
    Arden Grange

The ones in red are the ones I've fed my dog and that she eats without too much fuss. (She's a picky little sossidge - I generally mix a bit of cooked fresh meat - just a very small amount - with the dry to make it more palatable, but that's entirely up to you).

I know that tinned pumpkin has also been recommended for firming up loose poo. (Not sweetened stuff that's used for pie filling - just plain pumpkin if you can get it).

This thread might be of help to you. (Sorry - can't do a link - if you put it into 'search' that should bring it up).

Hope this helps a bit.

Can you reccommend a hypoallergenic dog food

11. Bobbie

Bobbie PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome

12. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Thanks all for your suggestions and help. Max's tummy is a lot better with the chicken and rice. Going to keep him on that over this weekend and then very slowly introduce James Wellbeloved, fingers crossed for me. If it doesn't work this time will be back at the vets and maybe suggest the allergy tests. Thanks again all. I will let you know how we get on.

13. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Hello all. Not been on here for a while. Max update- his tummy is a lot better we have very slowly been introducing James Wellbeloved over this week. We'd had a few loose stolls but generally he's been ok, going to increase it this so fingers crossed. It lovely being a,e to walk him and not have to worry about what's gong to come out the other end and how on earth I'm gong to clean it up. :wink:

14. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Scrap my last entry :(. A few days later he had dirreahea again and ut started getting worse so stopped the James Wellbeloved back again to chicken and Rice. :(. Just don't know what to I or the best. :confused:

15. Wiz201

Wiz201 PetForums VIP

I would do an allergy food test with the vet.

16. moomoo10

moomoo10 PetForums Member

Hi There, definitely go to the vets, they get dehydrated so quickly when they're puppies. To get something for the diarrhea as well as the allergy test.

Let us know how you get on.

Lilian xx

17. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Max sensitive tummy update:

Been back at the vets and he is now being prescribed a special diet of Royal Canin Gastro Intestinal. Had to order it from the vets and we will collect it on Monday. Vet wants him to be on this for 6/8 weeks and then it will be blood tests.

18. jopetportraits

jopetportraits PetForums VIP

Hi and welcome to the forums.:D

19. Westie1

Westie1 PetForums Newbie

Hi and thanks x

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice