Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Fellow Labrador owners: will you look at this pic please? Thank you :)

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Owned By A Yellow Lab, Aug 24, 2013.

1. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Owned By A Yellow Lab PetForums VIP

The vet nurse said this week that Dex is a good weight but that he must not get any heavier. She said she could feel his ribs without any difficulty but she didn't actually weigh him (I shall be arranging that for next week since she didn't!)

Would you be kind enough to look at a recent pic - I know it's hard to tell for sure online, but do you think he looks like he's getting too heavy???

Thank you!

Recent pic:[​IMG]

2. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

I wouldn't want him carrying anymore if he was mine but then my labs always naturally stayed light no matter how well fed they were :eek:

He is still a handsome boy :)

3. Paula07

Paula07 PetForums VIP

I think it can be quite hard to tell as labs come in all different shapes and sizes but I think Dex looks fine. I wouldn't want him any heavier though. :)

4. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Hmmm....I think maybe he needs to be a bit lighter, I don't really want him at the heaviest end of what's acceptable weightwise.

Thank you guys :)

5. labradrk

labradrk PetForums VIP

As you say it's hard to tell but I suspect he is fine if you can feel his ribs easily. They come in all shapes and sizes. The Doodle type dog on the right though!

6. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

I'm not a lab person, but I agree with what everyone else says, definitely the higher end of acceptable & it wouldn't hurt for him to slim down a bit. Lean is how I prefer dogs though :)

7. SpringerHusky

SpringerHusky PetForums VIP

My personal taste if he was mine, i'd take a touch more off him BUT he does look like he's in good shape, more so compared to most labs these days. Do what you feel is best for your dog ;)

8. Owned By A Yellow Lab

I know! You are spot on! That's the dog of a mate of mine and I have BEGGED her to put her girl on a diet. She is way too heavy and you can really see it's affecting the way she moves. My friend simply will not listen and insists that her dog 'does not eat'! :eek:

Very frustrating.

9. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Looks fine to me but I'd also not want him any heavier. At a push (and depending on what he weighs in at) I'd may be try to get a kg or so off - but not much more!

I def think it's better them being on the lighter - middle of their weight range BUT I've also seen quite a few dogs that I feel are far too lean recently :( (ie every rib can be seen)

10. Labrador Laura

Labrador Laura PetForums VIP

Labrador are very hard on weight wise, Some people will look at Mylo and say he's fat but he's so different to the working type.

Heres a few pics of Mylo, I don't have many of his side ways.
    He's 21inchs tall - short ass :D and last time I weighed him he was 31kg.
    You can see him last rib at the moment and feel his ribs but they do have coverage. Mylo is very heavy at the front and looks big but all the weight comes away from his waist so I can't afford anymore weight off him. My vets is happy with him though so i'm not worried.

Him yesterday :
    [​IMG]

Last month:
    [​IMG]

And I think this is from the start of the year before getting zab:
    [​IMG]

I wouldn't put anymore on Dex, you can't tell fully from the pictures but he looks okay, if he was mine I would have abit off him. If your vet is happy I wouldn't be to worried, i'm sure they see a lot of over weight labs.

#10 Labrador Laura, Aug 24, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  11. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

That roll of fat behind his collar looks too big for what I like in terms of a dog's weight. I'd get some weight off him, he looks quite stockily built and it won't do his joints any good.

12. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Not a Labrador owner - but I'd want a good few kilos off him if he were mine! :eek:

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I'd take a few kg off too if he were mine :eek:. I'd definitely keep him as light as possible and build plenty of muscle tone because of his HD. He's not awful compared to many labs I see about by any stretch and that's just my personal preference. I know I don't own labs too....despite what some mad folk insist :laugh:.

14. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

Honest opinion, if it were my dog i'd have them lose a tiny bit, but not a lot.

It is so easy to lose track as you see them every day so don't notice little changes creeping on. I regularly have to ask other people what they think of my pairs weights, just in case lol.

15. Owned By A Yellow Lab

I think the pic is maybe a bit deceptive as he's not at all stocky - but thank you for posting :) I do think he needs to lose a bit of weight! Not sure there is a 'roll of fat' though :confused: I'll have to go and have a look! :D

16. Owned By A Yellow Lab

Totally agree about the HD, that is one of the main reasons I am second guessing myself re his weight :)

DOLLYGIRL you are so right, it's hard to be objective sometime, when you see them all the time :)

17. WeedySeaDragon

WeedySeaDragon PetForums VIP

My first thoughts were very much along these lines too but then I am very much in favour of keeping dogs quite a bit leaner than a lot of people like.

It certainly won't hurt him to lose a bit.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Pretty much what everyone else has said really, Tau is constantly on a diet as she hoovers up anything and everything. It doesn't help I'm working pretty much every weekend, so have to fit in life and four dogs around weekend shifts, and I've got another busy week taking on some of a colleague's work while he's away on holiday :eek:

But yes, after all that ramble, I'd try and keep him on the lighter side :)

19. DollyGirl08

DollyGirl08 PetForums VIP

This is Simba at how he looks now. I have had mixed comments, some say he is too thin, others say how well he looks.

[​IMG]

20. pogo

pogo PetForums VIP

This, but i like dogs right at the leanest end of the scale

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice