Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Felix or Royal Canin? Foster cats

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Buttons1, May 12, 2017.

1. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I'm about to become a fosterer for a rescue (when my pen arrives) and I've recently picked up a huge donation from Zooplus. There are loads of boxes of pouches of Felix AGAIL and loads of Royal Canin Neutered Cat pouches. I can't store all the food so some of it is going to a lock up that the rescue owns so other fosterers can collect some. I just can't decide which brand to hold on to. Neither of them are brands that I would normally buy due to the ingredients but I can't work out which is the best of the two. Any thoughts on which I should keep?

I also have an enormous (7kg I think) bag of Applaws dry. I only planned to give a small amount of dry each day so it would take me weeks to get through the bag. Any thoughts on how long I should feed it once it's opened? I'd probably try to find some plastic containers to put it in. I wondering if I'm better off passing it to the fosterer with a triple pen as they have more chance of getting through it before it goes off.

I knew this food business would be tricky. I'd love to provide my own food and give them all the decent German food from Zooplus but it would cost too much and there are strict guidelines from the rescue regarding which brands we are allowed to use.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The manufacturers of dry food usually recommend that once the bag has been opened the food should be used within 6 weeks. After that it can develop fungus and also the flavour is impaired. It needs to be stored in its bag, in an airtight container to stay fresh for 6 weeks.

Could you keep a mix of the Felix AGAIL and the RC Neutered Cat pouches? Might be useful to have a choice in case you get a cat/kitten who won't eat one or the other. Though must say I have never known a cat or kitten in Rescue refuse to eat AGAIL. :)

RottieMummy and Babyshoes like this.
  3. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

Thanks for the dry advice. I didn't know that. There's no way I'd get through the enormous bag in 6 weeks. I think I'll pass it on to the fosterer who has more cats. It's such a shame I didn't get 10 or so small bags. The Applaws is much better quality than the small bags of Iams that we've been given.

Good idea about keeping some of each. We have plenty of space to store things. There is loads of kitten Felix too. I might hold on to one of those just in case we start off with kittens. I'm sure I'll get through it all in no time. There is also quite a bit of complementary food like Applaws wet that I think I'll hold on to for cats reluctant to eat when they first arrive. I've also been given two enormous tubs of Thrive treats, the £16 ones. It's amazing how much stuff these companies donate.

chillminx likes this.
  4. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

You could take half the dry and keep it in a tupperware box or food storage bin and give the rest to the other fosterer. I would be inclined to keep a mixture of felix and royal canin to give your cats variety.

I used to feed my foster lot a mixture of wet and dry. There would usually be a small amount of dry down for them to eat - not what I would do with my own cat but fosters are a bit different! You may find some are VERY hungry, some only eat wet, others only dry. Having a mixture of food available, caters for everyone and gives them a chance to graze a bit.

I used to swap food with another fosterer all the time, what her lot didnt like I'd try and vice versa!

GOod luck and enjoy x

chillminx and Buttons1 like this.
  5. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I did wonder if it's a good idea to leave a bit of dry down during the day. I work school hours so won't be gone for ages but if I get a cat that needs feeding up they might get hungry and stressed without food.

Good idea about sharing an open bag.

claire8234 and Babyshoes like this.
  6. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I'm also having a debate about cat beds. I have so many (donated) I'm not sure which to keep. I've been given a doughnut one that is huge and hardly has any sleeping space, it's all sides. I've also got two igloo beds. I'll keep one in case I have a cat that likes to hide. I also have two big rectangle beds that are fairly flat but have a low side which I think would be perfect for mums and kittens. I'll probably keep one of those.

I have a Zooplus XXL Scratching Post too.

When I went to the garage where all the Zooplus donations were being stored they had 4 Diogenes barrels!! I couldn't take one as my pen probably wouldn't be big enough, which was a bit frustrating. I also got a wicker cat carrier and bags and bags of Oko litter and Worlds Best. It was like being invited to the Zooplus warehouse and being told I could help myself!

claire8234 likes this.
  7. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

8. claire8234

claire8234 PetForums VIP

Wow! Thats a great amount of donations :)

As for bedding I would go with anything that can be washed easily and dry quickly. Fleeces are a good option. Ikea do fleece blankets for about £1. Or see if you can get hold of vet bed (very expensive though).

The donut bed sounds nice but maybe cover it with something else that can be taken off and washed. I used to wash everything at 90c to be on the safe side!!

Have you been given trigene or another pet safe disinfectant?

9. Buttons1

Buttons1 PetForums VIP

I've heard that vet beds are very good. The Scratching Post have started using them. I will check the washing instructions on the beds that I've got. I thought it would be good to have spare beds so I can rotate them while I'm washing them.

I haven't been given any cleaning products yet as my pen hasn't arrived but I seem to remember from the online training that I'll be given something strong sounding one that is designed for killing all bacteria etc. It might be Trigene. I'll probably do the infectious diseases module again before my first cat arrives to refresh my memory.

claire8234 likes this.
  10. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

The problem with some foam padded cat beds is it can be hard to get rid of the smell if they pee in them. :( I used to soak the pee stained beds from the Shelter in a solution of Bio Tex stain remover before laundering in the machine, but it was a bit of a hassle having to do that with several beds at a time.

Like Claire ^^ I'd prefer using stuff like vet bed fleece for fosters (or poorly kitties) which can be laundered easily and dries super fast. Also it means kitties always have somewhere dry to sleep as pee goes straight through vet bed fleece leaving the top dry. Just need puppy pads underneath the fleece to soak up the pee.

Ebay is about the cheapest for vet bed as I recall.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...A0.H0.Xvet+bed.TRS0&_nkw=vet+bed&_sacat=20737

#10 chillminx, May 13, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    Buttons1 likes this.
  11. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

I did vetbed and lots of fleece and knitted blankets when I was fostering. The rescue used blankets as an easy way to take familiar smells with the cats if/when they moved. And the fleece ones especially were super quick to wash and dry. Having blankets worked well in an ongoing sense for cats who liked to burrow, rather than just sit on things.

Buttons1 and chillminx like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice