Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

feliway help please!!

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by loroll1991, Jan 17, 2017.

1. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

I really Need a reply by anyone who knows as soon as possible please, would really appreciate it! :)

My Aunty has bought a feliway to try and calm her two girls down a bit, she's just called in a panic to say it's very hot! Is this correct? Should it be? She only put it in today. I've never used it so wouldn't know!

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

When my Feliway Diffuser got very hot it smelled of burning oil and so I stopped using it. I didn't think it was safe.

loroll1991 likes this.
  3. MontyMaude

MontyMaude PetForums VIP

Mine used to get really quite warm, but I think that is how it works, but I never had a smell of burning or anything (I do tend to be quite sensitive to smells)

loroll1991 likes this.
  4. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I don't think they should get very hot though they do get warm like plug-in air fresheners. I think there was an issue with Feliway overheating

loroll1991 likes this.
  5. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

Yes they do get hot - it's a way of warming the vapours but shouldn't be too hot to touch. Where did she get it from? I might be inclined to take it back and say she's heard there is a problem with overheating, is it the old or new version do they know (it was the old ones that overheated) or indeed ask if she can change it to a Pet Remedy one. These are much better.

6. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

Any I've used have always been fairly hot,never had a problem with a burning smell.

loroll1991 likes this.
  7. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

She got it rom Amazon I think! They should be legit? And she isn't sure at all if it is the new one or not, I'm not there so cannot check and she hasn't got any technology except a telephone so can't sent a photo :(!

huckybuck likes this.
  8. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

Thank you all so much for the amazingly quick replies!! Xx

huckybuck likes this.
  9. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

It will just depend if an old or new one..I think the old are still about but I would have thought direct from Amazon the turn over would mean it would be a recent one.

loroll1991 likes this.
  10. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

Thank you Hun xxx she can't smell any oil burning and I think it is a new one. I will go there tomorrow to check to see it! I've told her to keep an eye on it and if it gets burning hot or smells of oil unplug it and we'll send it straight back! My brother in law ordered it for her, so I'll ask him to send me the link Xx

huckybuck likes this.
  11. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Some of them were dodgy and there was a warning out about them. It was a while ago. They changed the original style for a new one with a different refill and there were problems with some of those so they changed them again to the old style but apparently you have to have the right refills in them.

It got very complicated. I had quite a long exchange with the company over it as they would not admit that they had done this even though it was publicised at the time, and I think is still out there if you Google a lot. Some of them were getting very hot and they were being replaced once you proved where it was purchased and when. Warm is normal, hot is not. There are reports of them smoking too.

This was from the changeover (the first one) and a good place to contact them https://www.facebook.com/FeliwayForCats/posts/10152998810762308

Lilylass, loroll1991 and chillminx like this.
  12. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

Thank you, this is very helpful xx

13. Renfieldist

Renfieldist PetForums Newbie

Ours definitely does get hot. Not so hot that you can't touch it, but hot enough that it's uncomfortable to hold. We have had air fresheners and mosquito repellants that work the same way and reach a similar temperature. They work by evaporating the liquid in the bottle, I believe - a bit like the way a scented candle spreads its scent in the vapor from the flame.

loroll1991 likes this.
  14. Forester

Forester trained by Dylan

I was under the impression that the new style ones were discontinued as some caught fire!. The new style ones included an adaptor for use in the UK, i e the top part was in two separate pieces.

I think that Feliway has helped Dylan so I always try to have one on the go. I do , however, turn it off if I'm going out as is it does get quite hot. I also turn it off at night. HTH

loroll1991 likes this.
  15. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

@loroll1991 I stopped using feliway a long while ago firstly it had no effect secondly I was also worried about the unit getting too hot and leaking. Would she consider using pet remedy or Beaphar spot on or Zylkene?

loroll1991 and huckybuck like this.
  16. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

Thanks everyone!! :)

huckybuck likes this.
  17. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I had a thread on here recently about the Feliway seeming to have changed strength, will have a look for it.

I unplugged ours after all the hassle I was put through getting it replaced as I had thrown away the old ones and replaced with the new one which was then recalled for 'leaking' problems, I think I read about some catching fire but not sure which reincarnation it was. I am not planning using it again, I have had enough of the chopping and changing and don't know where I am with them any more, they don't appear to be safe these days.

What I would suggest is to get the Feliway spray if your cat is happy with the Feliway, and just mist the house lightly once or twice a day, you can control how much you use and it won't catch fire or leak. Whatever you do, do not walk through the mist as it is revolting and will choke you.

loroll1991 and AmsMam like this.
  18. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

loroll1991 likes this.
  19. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What are the cats doing that they need to "calm down"? Feliway is for stress and can help with fighting. It won't "help" with normal active cat-ly antics, nor should it.

It's a good thing, for cats to be lively. : )

loroll1991 likes this.
  20. loroll1991

loroll1991 PetForums VIP

TBH I do not think they need it, i 100% agree with you that cats are lively beings and this is great if they are!! She is a very nervous cat mum. We told her before they came home to her that she needs to realise cats are lively and will run around at 100 miles an hour, I didn't know she was getting the feliway - someone else suggested it to her. When I asked her why she got it she said they fight a lot and talk so much she thinks they're 'stressed' and she doesn't want them to be stressed. I agree to use it for the fighting if it is too much and goes beyond playing, but for the talking a lot, i told her Millie literally SCREAMS at me... it's just them talking :)

Anyway, she has unplugged it now and has decided she doesn't want/need it! xx

lorilu likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice