Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feliway - any good.?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by bobby7, Oct 1, 2013.

1. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Mouse (10 1/2 yrs) has always been a bit of a loner preferring her own company but she always liked staying in the house unless the weather is good and she can be found sunbathing in the garden. Recently - about the last 2 weeks she's decided she doesn't like being indoors and has taken to sleeping under the hedge. Not such a bad thing when its warm but now the weather is turning colder and wetter I'm not so happy about this. She will spend all night outside. She will come in to feed or we will bring her in to make sure she has eaten but as soon as shes finished shes off out again. Nothing in the house has changed ( that I can think of ) to upset her and I wondered about Feliway as to whether this might help the situation. Has anybody got any thoughts or ideas as to what else I could try. She has use of a cat flap but this can't be closed as there are 2 other cats in the house. Thanks.

2. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

I'm putting my first order in next week so can't comment on feliway was just a bit concern that your kitty might be ill?

My cat started sleeping under a bush on some spare land when he had kindey disease and know a lot of other animals do this but hopfully your cat's not ill, just thought I'd mention it.

It can't hurt having a go at a feliway. I'm guessing they're much cheaper online than at the vets so shouldn't put you out of pocket to much.

By the way, where do you live? It's getting really cold at night where I am but I'm in the UK, guessing you live somewhere warm.

Edit: ahh you're in Devon, it is still warm down there? I'm in the North west England, it's bloody freezing here at night.

3. Snowsky

Snowsky PetForums Newbie

I have used feliway for a week now, and we love it!

Reason for using it, our 7 year old Simba, seemed very unhappy with baby 7 months Milo, and Simba started pooping in my husbands clothes. After a check at the vets, she said that Simba is in top shape, but stressed.

Feliway have already after a week, changed Simba alot, he is still not 100% happy with Milo, but the pooping has stopped, he is not as shy as he had turned into be, and he seems more sociable.

Our vet recomended feliway, she did say that not all cats respond to it, but we feel the difference. Even my VERY doubtful husband says it has changed Simba for the better

4. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Thanks for the replies. About 3 months ago due to something not being 'quite right' with her she had blood tests and fortunately they all came back OK. In my first post I wrote that nothing had changed .... the coffee table had been moved from the centre of the room to the corner. She used to walk around this in order to get to the OH for her morning cuddle. I'm wondering whether this has anything to do with it. Mouse can be very odd at times. The table was moved back this morning. Mouse after being brought in for breakfast walked into the living room had a look round then sat in the hallway for 10 minutes which is the longest she's stayed in for a while. Ill try the feliway if that doesn't help off to the vets to try and sort her ocd out.

5. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I've used Feliway a lot and think it works, especially when introducing new cats. You definitely want to buy online which is much cheaper and place it where Mouse spends most time when indoors. One of my cats used to go outside under a Bush when he wasn't well so my first thought would be a vet check. It is still pretty warm down south at the moment and my 14 year old (also called Mouse) wants to be outside most of the time.

6. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

I've moved the coffee table back to its original spot - Mouse has decided all is right in her world now and has moved back in. Typical just as I've brought the feliway.

7. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

It won't be a waste, it will still help Mouse to feel calm now she is back indoors - aren't they funny?

8. gentoo1980

gentoo1980 PetForums Member

Really? all because of a change in location of the coffee table? How strange!

And I thought my old cat was a bit funny in the head but yours...:D

I'm glad she's back to normal.

I don't know how long felliway will last but could maybe come in useful later on. Like maybe have it plugged in for 3 weeks before and after you next plan to move something else.

Just joshing.

9. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

I'll disagree. It doesn't do anything imnsho. Here's a systematic meta analysis but there are also individual studies you can read. I can't find one that persuades me that it does anything other than deplete your bank balance.

An Error Occurred Setting Your User Cookie

10. bobby7

bobby7 PetForums Senior

Gentoo she really is a very strange little girl. We took her on as an ex breeding queen (birman) she doesn't fit the breed profile at all. Maybe that's why they got rid of her. :D

11. Satori

Satori One of Life's Winners.

Feng Shui. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice