Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Felini Taurine

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by tibbythecat, Jun 25, 2010.

1. tibbythecat

tibbythecat PetForums Junior

Hello

I have just received a pot of felini taurine from zooplus. This is a daily supplement of taurine.

My cats diet have cooked chicken, white fish, complete/complementary wet food so i am looking for a taurine boost.

The instructions on zooplus say to give 250-500mg taurine. Is this correct in addition to the food?

I have read some of the other posts - can you overdose taurine?

Thanks

2. Billyboysmam can maybe put you right on this, maybe you can pm her!
    but would hazzard a guess and say yep you could overdose on anything that were 'manufactured'

3. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Not BBMs but will have a go. :D

There are no studies that have looked at taurine overdoses on cats, only what happens when they don't get enough.

The cooking process destroys a lot of taurine as do other forms of processing (e.g. mincing) or additions (such as adding rice).

The quantities you are talking about 250-500 mg are miniscule - any taurine your cat doesn't need is secreted out with urine.

Personally, I would err on the side of caution and supplement using those quantities (when making my own food I add 1g of taurine to 1kg of meat even though I include heart and other taurine rich foods). It is not as though you are feeding the whole pot in one go :D.

Any reason why you are feeding cooked chicken and not raw? You lose fewer nutrients that way.

Hope that helps

1 person likes this.
  4. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice