Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feline vaccines

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by ewelsh, Apr 17, 2019.

1. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

I know it’s been covered a thousand times but I would appreciate your views.

Always had all 3 girls done annually.

Libby seems to react more and more each year according to my diary.

I spoke with my vets who agreed as Libby was an indoor cat, was a low risk, also we don’t have other cats around to possible infect Loulou & Lottie who in tern could infect Libby but...... she said maybe to split the vaccines or opt out of some!

So here is my problem. The cats go into the cattery now when we go away, I have spoke with the cattery about an isolation pen, which they have.

Now I’m worried if she goes in the isolation pen which is obviously for possibly ill cats am I putting her at more risk?

Do I split the vaccines?
    Opt out of some, if so which ones?
    How do I know which she is reacting to?

Help!

2. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

It’s only an opinion hun but if Libby gets over the side effects reasonably quickly I would continue to vaccinate her especially if she goes into a cattery. No vaccine is 100% as I have found out through personal experience but would rather minimize the risk having a multi cat home. xxx

3. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Titer.

I would not vaccinate a cat with known reactions. You don't have rabies there, after the core vaccines and a booster, initially, what are you vaccinating for?

Most vaccines remain in the system for years. Yearly vaccines are not needed.

ewelsh likes this.
  4. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Libby is fine initially after the vaccines, but then she seems to go into a daze, she sits in one spot gazing, eyes watering and almost bulging, she doesn’t eat or drink, lethargic boarding limp. This goes on to the next day so easily a 24 hour thing! Last year I sat up most of the night with her. How dangerous are th side affects, Will they get worse?

5. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

See I read conflicting opinions so I don’t know what to do for the best!

This is Libby the love of my life, I’m really worried about it this year!

Soozi likes this.
  6. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

As I understand it, flu vaccine needs to be done yearly, but 3 yearly for the others depending on which ones your vet uses. Purevax(if I've spelt it correctly) is 3 yearly

ewelsh likes this.
  7. buffie

buffie Mentored by Meeko

ewelsh likes this.
  8. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

A 24 hour reaction is normal I would think. Liddy was the same. Saffy has no side effects at all. xxx

ewelsh likes this.
  9. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

What vaccine does your vet use? Nobivac Tricat and Ducat is very popular. The Tricat is done every three years and the Ducat in the intervening two years.

Purevax is three yearly for all three elements.

ewelsh likes this.
  10. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Titer. Then you will know that she is already protected. My 9 year old cat had a bad reaction to her first adult rabies vaccine (after the kitten series). The second year when she was 2 it was worse. Vet did not want to do another, even though the laws are strictly enforced where I live.

I do a titer on her every two years. She hasn't had a rabies vaccine in 7 years. The titer shows her protection, in her tiny little 7 pound body, is 12 times that an adult human would need. (that's the measurement scale used). After no vaccine in 7 years.

I don't give other vaccines after the kitten series and booster, and don't bother to titer for them. Indoor cats, zero risk.

Rufus15, chillminx and ewelsh like this.
  11. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

Hun what does your Vet advise? We can only give opinions here and what we feel is best. I really would be guided by your vet. We could ask @Ceiling Kitty?

ewelsh likes this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What vaccine would an indoor cat need, with no rabies? After kitten series and a booster for FVRCP , I can't think of any that would be needed.

Rufus15 and ewelsh like this.
  13. QOTN

QOTN PetForums VIP

Catteries require vaccination for their insurance.

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I was forgetting that. However, when a cat's health is at risk, I think another way would need to be found. Pet sitter, for instance. Or a kennel that accepts titer. These aren't vaccines required by law like rabies, after all.

My senior cat has just had her 3 year purevax rabies. She's never had a reaction before but this time she has been sick for over 2 weeks from it. She's 15 and will never have another. I didn't want to do it this time, would rather have had the titer, but she is a biter at the vet, and I can't risk her - the law being a cat without a current rabies vaccine who bites someone has to be quarantined in a kennel for 6 months which she would never survive, or death.

My state does not recognize titer. :(

It's ridiculous hysteria, but there it is. Indoor cat, always vaccinated, zero risk, but if I had to take her to a strange vet in an emergency and she bit someone there (highly likely) that would be the end of her. The people at my vet would not report the bite, they know her. But she is older and if she needed emergency care....I was afraid to take the risk. I regret it now, but of course it's too late.

ewelsh likes this.
  15. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Thank you all for you in put, I do appreciate it, all this is such a mine field isn’t it.

I normally have a pet sitters, but the wife died last year who was the cat lover. The husband doesn’t like cats that much and always worry’s about Libby incase she gets outside so he asked NOT to sit the cats as 7 pets is a lot, which is why I am now using a cattery.

The cattery were very kind and agreed if Libby wasn’t vaccinated she could go into the isolation pen with Lottie.

I have the vet coming out to give the dogs and cats their annual boosters and will have another chat with me then, so I wanted to source as much information prior, so I had some clue.

My vet gives if I recall properly.
    FIV
    FELV
    FLU & ENT

The brand is Fevaxyn Pentosel if that means anything to you!

I would be interested in @Ceiling Kitty view if she would be so kind.

huckybuck likes this.
  16. ewelsh

ewelsh PetForums VIP

Just read up on this Titer @lorilu

A titer test is a laboratory blood test. It checks for the presence of certain antibodies in the blood stream. Testing involves drawing blood from a patient and check it in a lab for presence of bacteria or disease. It is often used to see if someone is immune to a certain virus or needs vaccination.

Interesting! Anyone else gone this way!

Saffy Cat likes this.
  17. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I had a cat who reacted badly after vaccination and it turned out to be the adjuvant she was allergic too. It only lasted 24 hours though. I still vaccinate or my pet health insurance won’t be valid. None of my other cats have ever had a bad reaction so I always vaccinate.

At our vets if you go longer than a few months past the annual vaccination date, they make you start from the beginning with two vaccines three weeks apart; it happened to my friend. I thought that was a bit OTT. I would have refused.

Personally, though, I would also be worried about putting a cat in a cattery unvaccinated - I don’t think I would have the courage to do it.

huckybuck, ewelsh and Soozi like this.
  18. Soozi

Soozi PetForums VIP

I don’t think it’s a bad idea that a general blood test to be done annually especially as cats get a bit older. It’s something I will always do from now on with Saffy.

ewelsh likes this.
  19. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

Is there a version of tricat that is done annually? I'm sure that's what mine have...

ewelsh likes this.
  20. Saffy Cat

Saffy Cat PetForums Member

Do you prefer to use a cat sitter you know and would you consider using a professional cat sitter? It might be less stressful to find a sitter for 7 cats than to take them to the cattery (esp with the vaccination requirements). I choose the sitters that stay overnight and look forward to my daily photos.

If you are in the UK you could find one through this organisation. They are insured and you can set filters on some requirements on the sitter like police checked, can administer medicine etc.

https://uk.catinaflat.com/howto

Edit: I try to use the same sitter, my cat and her get along very well and she is happy to water my plants as well (which I think one sitter didn’t like at the interview stage, she looked worried and she declined later).

#20 Saffy Cat, Apr 17, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2019
    ewelsh likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice