Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Feline Tooth Resorption

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Treaclesmum, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

So Pixie had her booster this morning, and they found she has Feline tooth resorption on one of her bottom teeth. They advised her to have a dental but said she may not need it out. I was surprised as she has been eating fine, but now tonight after the vets have been poking around in her mouth, she does not want to eat. I have offered Catz Finefood, Whiskas and freshly baked salmon, but although she sniffs it she doesn’t want to take a bite :(

I have booked her dental for tomorrow, so now she is not allowed to eat until after that. It must’ve been causing pain before but she must’ve been hiding it well. I’m sure it’s the tooth which is hurting as she flinched when I touched her mouth, but I managed to put some Logic gel on it.

I’ve been reading up on FTR and it seems that cats who have this might benefit from a food which is low in Vitamn D. Does anyone know what foods are low? I just hope Catz Finefood is one of them!

2. Treaclesmum

We’ve just got back from the vets! She had a scale and polish under GA and had 2 extractions, her big back teeth n either side. She is certainly glad to be home and has just scoffed a dinner of Catz Finefood. She then came and jumped n the sofa and rubbed her head in her cushion, looking very relieved to be back home after a whole day spent at the vets. She is a very brave little girl, I’m so proud of her xx
    [​IMG]9AE7297F-D244-4552-8D9A-3473668A25A7 by Rosemary Moore, on Flickr

3. SbanR

SbanR PetForums VIP

That's good news @Treaclesmum . You can take the bandage off now though:p

Whompingwillow likes this.
  4. Polly G

Polly G PetForums VIP

So pleased that Pixie is back home with you - she is gorgeous x

Treaclesmum likes this.
  5. Treaclesmum

Thank you @Polly G :)

She actually took the bandage off herself!

She’s been extra soppy all evening, I think she must feel so much better to be free of those troublesome teeth. I guess we never really know how much their teeth can bother them.

6. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

What a gorgeous girl! Good to hear she is feeling much better bless her.

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

One of my dad's cats has always been a quiet boy (especially in comparison to his brother). He has recently had a tooth out (a canine, the vet thinks it needed doing related to trauma from living on the streets :( :( :( :() and has suddenly perked up. He's still quiet, but much more animated. I feel bad that we didn't realise he was in pain :(

8. Treaclesmum

It’s amazing how much their behaviour can be affected by pain or discomfort. Pixie has always been the most independent of my cats and she can be very cheeky to the others and naughty, climbing on things which are unstable which she is always told not to... we often have to throw her Thrive treats to get her down from somewhere. So far since we got back from the vets, she has been happy, purry, quiet and calm. Let’s hope it lasts!

SbanR and moggie14 like this.
  9. catsandkittens

catsandkittens PetForums Newbie

I've read this too. I have a cat who has FORLS and I feed them Herrmanns part of the time - they do not add any supplements to their food, it's all supposed to 'naturally' have the right levels of nutrients (questionable).

Treaclesmum likes this.
  10. Treaclesmum

I might try her on some Hermanns. She loves the food which is like natural flakes of fish. I gave her a tin of Thrive fish the other night and she wolfed it down. She seems to be doing well.

I wonder what has caused her dental issues. When she was a kitten the vet said she had nice teeth and nice gums. But I know she was born in a house where they'd recently had Calicivirus, although she didn't have it herself but her half brother Treacle did. The vet found ulcers in his mouth as a kitten. And he had some dental issues later on, the vet said he had what looked like a Forl and he was barely 1 year old. Could this have cause her to develop dental problems I wonder?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice