Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feline Fayre confusion

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by catzz, Jun 1, 2010.

1. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Hooray - having some success with switching Gypsy and Kiera to a better food than Felix :) They seem to like Feline Fayre which is good. I put a plate of it down, just to see and they ate it all - didn't even mix it in with their regular food. Is it ok to do this if they'll eat it or should I take it more slowly? There have been no runny tummies or anything so far but then they've only had a pouch between them last night.

Now my real confusion is about the complimentary meals. Is there any point in me buying them other than to add extra flavours to their diet? The black pouch range seems quite limited. If I was to add them is complimentary like once a week or once a day? At the moment they're still eating quite a bit of RC dry as well. This is going to have to continue while Kiera is still needing to be fed so regularly but once the wet food transition is done I'll start moving them on to Applaws dry and hopefully eventually off dry altogether. Having said that I put about 10 pellets of it in with the RC and once the bowl was empty there was about 8 pellets of Applaws left in the bottom so maybe not...

2. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

ok

i would change over much more slowly, you dont want to risk an upset tummy.

As for the complimentory pouches, they are fine to give providing:

* they are not used as a meal replacement

* an extra pouch a day is fine if they have had adequate normal nutrition from a complete dry wet or raw diet.

* watch their weight! you know what they say about too many sweeties, even good sweeties will pile on the pounds if they are eating more than their needs

The black range does appear limited but ive never had any problem with it. If you want to think of another range to add in (once they are switched over to feline feyre), then tesco finest would be a good one to add in. Its similar consistency and quality feline feyre but with some different flavours. They are complete too, so would be good for variety.

Luckily my cats can switch between almost any of the high quality foods without difficulty, but they are fed primarily a raw diet so the wet foods are just supplementory (and for ease of use when on holidays!).

edit... i wouldnt bother switching the dry over if your going to eventually be cutting it out, just lower the portions of the RC until they are totally on wet. One step at a time though...

felix - feline feyre

feline feyre + tescos finest

rc - lowered - no more dry

3. catzz

catzz PetForums Senior

Thanks Billyboysmammy - I always get such good advice from you and the others here.

As an aside I really didn't think it was possible to get so obsessed about cat food! Just every now and then I wish I hadn't found this site then I could have gone on feeding Felix and Go Cat to my hearts content!
    Obviously I don't really mean that - I think this site is great - It's rapidly becoming my most visited :)

4. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

hehe welcome to the food obsessed group!

I was in tescos yesterday and nosing through their new "natural" range.... in the hope it was another good quality food. There was an old woman in the same isle who must have thought i was mad tutting and muttering to myself because it was another 4% meat content food.

oops! :eek:

5. hobbs2004

hobbs2004 PetForums VIP

Oh yes, I am a sucker for reading cat food labels and discovering new foods - more often than not they are unfortunately a let-down.

And once you start reading labels and start reading up more on nutirition too, then you realise just how much of a minefield the whole cat food malarkey is and how completely unregulated it is.

As I said before somewhere, the cat food industry must have stakes in the sheep industry because there is so much wool-being-pulled-over-consumer-eyes going on!

Otherwise, I have nothing to add to BBM's excellent post! :thumbup:

#5 hobbs2004, Jun 1, 2010
    Last edited: Jun 2, 2010
    billyboysmammy likes this.
  6. caleyg

caleyg PetForums Newbie

catzz, I hear exactly what you are saying! We got a 3 year old cat from the rescue home 2 weeks ago today and she was being fed whiskas wet and dry food. after reading the posts on this forum (my favourite analogy is likening the 4% meat content foods to McD's, which I would never eat so why should my cat) I am definitely moving her onto a higher quality food. She was spayed on Friday so once the e-collar comes off and she is settled again I am going to start the transition.

I have never had a cat before and this forum has been massively helpful as a source of great information and also in calming my anxiety when I start worrying about her.

thank you

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice