Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feline diabetes

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by watshea, Jul 19, 2009.

1. watshea

watshea PetForums Newbie

Hi all. This is my first post on the forum and I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice? I have been caring for a cat this weekend who has diabetes. He is up for adoption but I want to find out as much as possible before I am able to offer a permanent home. He is stable on his current insulin regime - lente 0.2 units twice daily with a fairly strict diet. I am a nurse which allows for some insight but am sure things differ between humans and cats. Do the insulin doses need to be given exactly 12hrs apart or can there be some leeway 2-3hrs perhaps? Is it safe for cats with diabetes to go outside? I realise that if they are out you can't be sure they will come home exactly on time but at least they can have more excercise and therfore more food. Once there are indications of neuropathy is there an approx life span? Has anyone elses cat had additional complications due to the diabetes? I will, of course be contacting his vet but all advice helps. He is a beautiful boy, around 10yrs I think. His current medication is costing in the region of £70-£80 plus his special food so it would be a big commitment. Thanks in anticipation.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice