Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feline asthma, allergy? Anything I can do?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by kems, Nov 5, 2012.

1. kems

kems PetForums Newbie

Hello,

I hope you do not mind me posting *is very shy* :eek:

My dsh Tia (3-4years) has been coughing an awful lot, it sounds as if it is a hairball, but nothing comes up at all and then it is as if she swallows mucous. I can't describe it very well, she almost 'hunches' up, you see her tummy pulsate/spasm and her head at times moves side to side as she wheezes/coughs. This week Tia's 'attacks' have been have every day, the last couple of days she has had 2 and this afternoon the coughing attacks lasted from 16.09-16.15. I have taken a sound recording, if this may help.

This has been going on for 2 weeks (please, don't think bad of me. At first I thought it was a hairball and tried pretty much every hairball remedy known to man...). Now, doing some research and having spoken to the vetenairy nurse, we think she has feline asthma or an allergy and she is seeing the vet this Thursday. I cannot get there any earlier as I myself am ill and just today have been in hospital, Tia and me make a great pair don't we...:D

With reading I have found out having a no grain diet may help her, so I've rushed out and bought some no grain food, whilst waiting for a delivery off Zooplus (Ordered Bozita, Animonda Carny and Porta 21 Sensible as my other cat will only eat dry food :rolleyes:) I'm hoovering the house much more, keeping a window open to help the humidity and what probably seems laughable but, putting on perfume etc in the bathroom with a closed door and wide open windows, just to make sure nothing causes her to cough.

However, I don't know what to do. I love her so much, she is my other half (don't tell the boyfriend) and I don't want her in any pain at all. Is there anything else I can do to help her?

Sorry, for the rambling post and thank you for any advice given.

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Kems, welcome to the forum:) Sorry to hear about your cat being unwell.

It is possible the coughing may be due to asthma, and it may be food-related, or environmentally triggered. Well done, for taking all the precautions in the house to reduce possible triggers.:)

The other possibility is that your cat has a virus, such as herpes or calici virus. Has the vet ruled these two out?

But for the moment, whether the symptoms are due to an allergy/asthma or to a virus, the fact is as your cat suddenly began coughing 2 weeks ago, and it is getting worse, the chances are she has an upper respiratory infection, for which she needs antibiotics a.s.a.p.

I suffer from asthma myself, and when my symptoms suddenly worsen, or I develop a cough, it is always because I have a respiratory infection.

You may find with a course of antibiotics the whole problem clears up. It is certainly worth trying them before getting into expensive allergy testing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice