Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feline Arthritis. pls help.

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by etnica99, Feb 21, 2017.

1. etnica99

etnica99 PetForums Newbie

Hi,

My 12yr old cat has been recently diagnosed with arthritis in her lower spine, between the hip and the tail. She has been pacing constantly, looks anxious and is not using the litter (sometimes she does but not regularly, I think it depends on the pain). Sometimes she cries when she’s in the litter. We did all the necessary tests (blood, urine, ultrasounds, x-ray) and vet confirmed that the problem is arthritis, otherwise she is a healthy cat.

After a lot of research we decided to start giving her cbd oil. I read that many animals reacted positively to the oil because it helped with pain and it is anti-inflammatory so we started with 2.5% of oil X 3 drops daily and than 9 drops daily This helped mainly in her appetite since she is eating more frequently now. We continued with the treatment for a month, no other improvements were noticed. We are now giving her a higher dose, 6% of oil X 3 drops per day (today is the 3rd day). She is also taking glucosamine supplement (Cosequin) per day and weighs 3kgs.

Did anyone here ever had a similar experience? If so, what was the dosage given to your pets? any other successful treatments?

Our other option is giving pain killers and steroids which we are trying to avoid because of all the side effects they have (kidney /liver problems/ulcers). Ultimately if this cbd does not work we will have to turn to the pills so to ease her discomfort but I am trying to find some other alternative before taking this last resort.

Thanks so much,

2. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

Sorry can't advise. I used metacam to treat my oldies arthritis and it really helped with her discomfort.

Ceiling Kitty likes this.
  3. etnica99

hey thanks..just googled metacam ( vet did not meniton it, i will ask. she suggested Loxicom as a pain killer and a steroid once in a while). you give metacam everyday or when your kitty is in pain? i read so much about cbd oil as an anti inflammatory for pets but it doesn't seem to make any positive changes in my cat

4. kittih

kittih PetForums VIP

I think loxicam and metacam ate the same thing. I dosed one a day at the lowest dose that worked (IE for my cat half the dose she could have had)

Sandra Christiana likes this.
  5. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

You really must speak to your vet about pain relief.

6. Matrod

Matrod Moderator
    Staff Member

Tbh if she was displaying those symptoms I'd be starting her on proper pain relief asap. I give one of my oldies onsior & she has monthly cartrophen injections, my other old boy has metacam everyday.

7. velvetpaw

velvetpaw PetForums Member

I give my cat Omega-3 fish oil to help with arthritic pain.

8. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

Cannabidiol (CBD) oil ...

I'm sure no research has been done into how safe this is for cats, which have different metabolic pathways to humans with the result that other things which are not harmful (or not in normal quantities) to humans such as garlic, rosemary oil, tee-tree oil and the like are dangerous for cats.

I would be talking to my vet about getting her effective pain relief.

9. Paddypaws

Paddypaws PetForums VIP

I too would be talking to the vet about appropriate pain relief as her condition is so severe currently. No harm in then also considering supplements such as krill/fish oil or Green lipped mussel going forwards.

10. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

I use Metacam too. I think the risk on her kidneys so long as regular blood tests are done is worth the relief she gets.

11. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

12. moggie14

moggie14 PetForums VIP

13. velvetpaw

Green lipped mussels is great as a supplement. I have used it but unfortunately had to stop it as it raised my kitties Crea and she has kidney disease but it is definitely worth a go.

14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

What makes you think it's the GLM? Serious question.

My girl just had her bi-annual blood work, I don't have the results yet. Her creatinine is always at the high end of normal, but she is raw fed and I expect it to be higher.

15. velvetpaw

@lorilu in answer to your question. Once I removed the green lipped mussels the CREA was lower again. I guess the green lipped mussels are high in protein and protein raised the CREA in my kitty, otherwise I would have kept her on this supplement.

16. etnica99

Thank you all. We stopped the cbd oil and have been giving loxicom (metacam) daily. We are not seeing any improvements in the sense that she is still pacing and not using the litter. To me , she seems more lethargic. We are giving fish oil and glucosomine too. I read about Traumeel suppliments , will call the vet later on today to ask about those and to ask about Adequan inections ( i read about it in another forum). Hopefully we will see some improvements soon.

moggie14 likes this.
  17. etnica99

18. Tezwik

Tezwik PetForums Senior

I've got a 17 year old girl with arthritis, she came to me last week on one unit of loxicom daily, she has a vet check at my vets Thursday as I want to check that 1 unit I'd the correct dose as the paperwork that comes with the bottle of loxicom says it should be 1 unit per kg in weight that she is (I was asking about this on another thread in the cat chat forum funnily enough) she doesn't seem in any pain but just thought it best to get it double checked. I will also ask and see if they would recommend any supplements that she can be given, but for now we will stick with the loxicom and see what the vet says Thursday

19. Sandra Christiana

Sandra Christiana PetForums Newbie

I think this Cbd oil from innovetpet (dot) com would be the best for you guys.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice