Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Felimazole prescription and bloodtests?

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Delta99, Jul 27, 2009.

1. Delta99

Delta99 PetForums Newbie

Hi, am new to this forum, hope you can give me some advice.
    My cat (approx. 12 yrs old) was diagnosed with underactive thyroids about 5 months ago. She has been on Felimazole since, and been back to the vets for another blood test and had her dose adjusted.
    Just tried to get a repeat prescription of the vets but they are saying she will need to come in again for a blood test! (even though in the same conversation they told me bloodtests would only be required every 6 months and it's only been 4 since her last test!)
    Anyway, just wondered if anyone has any experience with this sort of thing? Is it normal to bloodtest cats that often?
    I'm a bit concerned about the stress this causes the cat plus obviously there is a cost issue....:eek:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. jill3

jill3 PetForums VIP

Did your vet tell you that you can have an operation to remove the thyroid gland?
    I had this done on my 15 year old 3 months ago.
    Firstly she had to go on tablets to lower the heart rate and had blood tests.
    When the heart rate was lower she had her op.
    The op cost £182. then another blood test to see if it had worked.
    I thing the whole price of tablets, blood tests and op came to £325.
    It has worked and she is in good health now.
    Maybe in the long run this might be a cheaper way of doing it for you.
    It's better for the cat, cause mine hated taking tablets.
    Also if you have to pay out every 4 or 6 months for blood tests and tablets as well it will soon mount up over the years and as you say it's stressful for the cat.

3. Praxis

Praxis PetForums Newbie

Hi, I am also new to this Forum and have the same concerns with my 14 year old Mitzi. She has Hyperthyriodism and is on 5mg of Felimazole in the morning and 2.5mg in the evening. She has been on this for less than a month. I was first told her Thyriod was 90 and to give her 2.5mg in the morning and 2.5mg in the evening, my vet said to bring her back in 3 weeks for another blood test. Her Thyriod was down to 85 and I was told to up the dosage and take her in every 4 weeks for blood tests!!!!

I thought a blood test each month is too much to put my cat through as she hadn't seen a vet in 8 years untill now and does not enjoy it!! But maybe this is because she is new to the treatment, I'm not sure. I'm trying to way up weather to continue with the tablets or to have the operation to remove. My vet seems to think an op is the cheapest and best option and says it costs around £200 to remove the Gland. My concern is that there are risks with older cats and a further operation on the other Gland at a later date may be needed so I am really unsure of what to do next. Also my vet mentioned his cat has been on the tabets along time-I must ask him why he hasn't opted for surgery next time I see him as he seemed to be keen on puttin gmy forward.

Can I ask if your cat has had any side effects to Felimazole and how has dosage changed over the 5 months she has been on the treatment and if the operation has been recomended to you?

Thanks

4. jaxx

jaxx PetForums VIP

My 14 year old cat has just recently been diagnosed with hyperthyroidism and is on Felimazole. The reason your vet wants to do so many blood tests is to see how your cat is adjusting to the medication and if it's working effectively. Vets tend to see if the cat in question will respond to medication before making them go through with the operation as it's usually elderly cats that start with the thyroid problems. They need to make sure that the cats can cope with the stress of the op.

My cat is still very ill with her hyperthyroidism and my vet doesn't want to operate on her until she is more stable and has gained more weight as she's lost so much body mass.

I've had problems with costs as well as she's not insured and having talked to the practice manager they've agreed for me to pay for any large fees in installments rather than in one. Which is nice.

Hope your cats are feeling better soon. xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice