UK Pet Forums Forum banner

Feeling so worried...

414 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Gwen9244 
#1 ·
I am off fairly soon for a holiday and I'm quite frankly quite scared as to what might happen whilst I'm away. I've been introducing 4 cats now since July and it is a lot better. I leave them with all access day and night. There is still some tension. There is hissing (from Bella to them all and from Poppy to Barnaby). Barnaby is still occasionally chasing Poppy. He does chase the others too and I'm 99% sure it's pure playfulness. He never hisses or shows outward aggression. He remains fairy obsessed with Poppy. This morning I caught him coming in from outside and going straight into her safe room. He was sat on the chair above her on the floor. I moved him on but obviously I won't be around soon. He wasn't doing anything outwardly just sitting. He's very very playful and mischievous in his nature and he's been unwell. However, since we found the cause of his issue and now that he's on antibiotics his playfulness is becoming more evident.

In general they all behave and tolerate each other. Bella hisses and growls and they give her a wide berth. At other times she's not at all bothered by their presence. Bailey likes all of them and never shows any aggressive behaviour, never hisses, never growls. Poppy is the least bothered by Bailey and will in fact run and play with him. She will sometimes swat at him but he'll just jump away. Poppy and Bella have a love hate relationship, sometimes they both hiss at each other. Bella will often give Poppy a wide berth and move away and sometimes she'll give her a little chase. They have never fought contact wise. Poppy dislikes Barnaby and if he walks too close she'll hiss, growl and her ears go back. He will stop, turn around and move off etc.. Other times she's happy for him to pass and he'll do it very slowly and respectively. Other times he will chase her and I would say this normally happens if he's been outside and come in or in a playful mood. Sometimes he will hide behind the door and jump out when she passes, she'll then run and he will chase. He never hisses or growls at her. For 11 she is amazingly quick and gets away but is very vocal about it.

I've opted for cat visits and aiming for three visits a day with specific instructions to play with him for a good 10 minutes each time. It's the long night I'm worried about more. When I'm here nighttime is mostly uneventful and they all settle down. Every now and again they are more active and there is play and like last night a bit of chase. It doesn't happen every night through. I just hope that he gets enough stimulation from these visits that means he doesn't look elsewhere.

I'm so worried and even considering cutting my holiday short. I'm I being too much of a worry head?

See less See more
#2 ·
I expect a lot of the time, with you not there, they will sleep or rest. Will they have the same access to outside as usual? There might be problems if they are all shut indoors all the time, as it could cause frustration and tension. Because it is not what they are used to.

If it would help you relax and enjoy your holiday you could set up a remote viewing camera in your home e.g. The Pet Cube. In fact, am I right you mentioned before you already have one of those cameras in situ?

#3 ·
Thank for your reply. Yes I have asked the people visiting to let them out during the visit. They won't get out as much or for as long as I give them but they will get to go out. I hope it will be enough. Yes I'll have cameras set up so will be able to see if there is anything going on. Not that I'll be able to do anything about it but I can let the sitters know. Fingers crossed.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.