Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling so guilty..

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Nonnie, Jun 29, 2009.

1. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

On my vets advice, i havent walked Oscar since thursday.

Because of his poorly heart, we felt that it may be too much strain on his system to run around like a loony in the heat.

Ive tried stimulating him in the house, but he just tries to climb on me and lick my face, or wanders off with a forlorn look on his face.

He wont use treat dispensors, and prefers to lie on my bed and stare at me with a depressed and miserable look on his face. For the past 2 days i havent walked Alfie either, as Oz gets so worked up that i worry this will stress him out aswell.

Today he has coughed a fair bit, something he has never done before, although he seems really well in himself, apart from the confusion as to why he is at home all day.

I know its for his own good, but i feel so mean and cruel, especially as Alfie has had to suffer aswell.

2. Baby Bordie

Baby Bordie PetForums VIP

Awww dont feel guilty, your doing it for a good reason! I hope your dog gets well soon! :D

3. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

:( poor oscar, I felt the same after Daisy got speyed and couldn't go out/off lead. She was just so forlorn, and would perk right up as soon as you went anywhere near the door, only to look all downcast again when she realised it wasn't walk time.
    have you ever tried the nina ottosen toys? daisy spends ages on hers... something like that might cheer him up?

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have 3, hes just not food minded enough. He sees it as far too much effort.

I just wish there was some way you could explain it to them. Everytime i go into the garage he gets all excited, and today that just made him cough and pant heavily.

Even now he's just laying and staring at me.

5. Kinjilabs

Kinjilabs PetForums VIP

I know how you feel, I cant walk Mlillie because of her arthritis and she doesnt understand and still wants to go walkies, so we have been spending the evenings in the garden with both dogs, think they enjoy that as much as going out:)

6. kenla210

kenla210 PetForums Senior

does he like water? maybe a paddling pool would give him some playtime without being too strenuous?

7. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I sat outside with him this evening and let him "help" me with the watering.

He annoyed the rabbits for a bit and had a roll on his back.

8. rona

rona Guest

You'll just have to sleep during the day and take them out overnight.
    I'd be a little worried about fluid on the lungs with heart problems and no exercise.
    This is going to last until at least the end of the week.
    How long can he go without exercise before it causes other problems?

9. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

My vet advised no exercise at all. But im planning at getting up at about 5am, and taking him out before it hots up. I think ill just have to risk it.

Im not sure about other problems, hes not been this long without a walk before. His lungs are clear, as i check daily. His heart is enlarged, so coughing shouldnt be unusual, its just unlike him.

10. rona

rona Guest

5am in the woods with water should be fine, if you can get him going!!
    It seems to start heating up about 7am
    You'd better get to bed then :D

11. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Im gonna take him in an hour. Theres a large grassy area behind my house with street lights. He's still good on his legs, so i think this is my best option.

Ill take some water, and wont take him for too long.

12. Nicci

Nicci Guest

I don't know what the temperatures are like round by you, it's gone really cool here and hubby has just gone out with our Bulldogs, they've suffered today :(

13. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Ive just been out and its a fair bit cooler now. Limited to where i can take him, but something is better than nothing.

Just waiting for the last of the regular late nighters, then we'll be off.

14. yohan

yohan PetForums Junior

Poor little Oscar!.. Looking at his eyes makes me feel so sad!.. :(

15. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I have a happy dog!

Didn't go last night, as he started panting heavily, and i was too scared too.

But we were over the fields this morning by 5.15am. By 6am the sun was high enough to start making things really hot up, so im thankful i didnt leave it any later.

The downside was that no-one had been through the woods before me, so i got all those horrible little cobwebs all over my face.

He still struggled a bit, but is now on his back on my bed, and not staring at me for a change.

16. rona

rona Guest

That's great, i bet you feel much better about it too :)
    How did he cope with his legs etc?

17. Blitz

Blitz PetForums VIP

I think it is a case of quality over quantity isnt it. Better to die happy than to have a sad and prolonged life. I remember the same thing with the family dog when I was a teenager and the decision was made to leave her life and exercise as it had been and if it shortened her life then at least she was happy. I think you definitely did the right thing to exercise him while it was cooler, the vet is just thinking of the heart not the whole dog.

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

He actually coped really well. I didnt take his toy, but he seemed happy with this. He had a paddle in the stream, and decided that he didnt know any recall training when following a scent in the woods.
    Thats what i was thinking when i was walking him this morning. If he cant go anywhere, then whats the point and purpose of his life? Of course this was only a temporary thing, but if he become permanently exercise intolerant, then i cant see his life having any quality to it.

Id rather him have a shorter happier life, than a longer one that is prolonged entirely for my own selfish reasons, and at the expense of his own mental and physical needs. He lives to run around and act like a fool, i cant take that away from him.

19. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

Oh nonnie that made me cry:eek: His one lucky boy to have you:)

20. rona

rona Guest

I've always had that outlook, my dogs have always been outdoor dogs, but I have a friend with a dog that is blind, incontinent and very very old, but that dog lives for his cuddles from mum.
    They are all different, just like us :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice