Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling rubbish and an unpleasant surprise

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by gerbilmummy, Oct 16, 2013.

1. gerbilmummy

gerbilmummy PetForums Senior

Went to bed last night feeling 'not right' (slight headache)

Woke this morning to bed headache, body feels cold but head feels hot, stuffed sinuses, sore throat and my neck feels tender plus I am coughing for England.

Went to strip the bed as it's bed changing day but by the end I had to have a rest as I felt out of breath and a little sick :(

As for the unpleasant surprise, when I went to sort out the washing there among my dirty clothing was the biggest spider I have ever seen, I am ashamed to have to admit that I dropped the lot on the floor screaming (as much as my throat would allow) and got out the room fast, I then found a cup and luckily the spider was still by the clothing so I was able to catch it and put it outside. :eek:
    The spider was so big you could see hairs on its legs!!:eek: *shudders*

I am wrapped up in pj's and a dressing gown and I am not going anywhere today, though I do feel bad about not going to visit animallover in hospital, still I have to remind myself that she will probably hate me more for giving her a cold. :rolleyes:

By the way, question for you: would just washing my hands properly and then not physically touching the gerbil food be enough to prevent the gerbils from catching my cold? I live alone so can not ask someone else to feed them, plus I am looking after AL's little gerbil family as well, don't want to risk making anyone ill.

2. lunajim

lunajim Banned

Don't know much about feeding gerbils, maybe you could put on some gloves or something?

Sounds like you have a horrid cold, it seems to be doing its yearly rounds! Hope you feel better soon.

3. cinnamontoast

cinnamontoast Sois pas chiant, chéri.

Human cold virus will not transfer to gerbils! Hope you feel better soon, I'm also sicky with a cold, but mine is a 'OMG, I'm going to be sick' cold. I've been entertaining the kids by sitting with a bin on my knee again this week. Fun, fun!

4. gerbilmummy

They can actually.

Copied from: Common cold in gerbils | Treatment Advice from Pet Health Info

Common cold
    Gerbils are able to catch the common cold from humans and suffer from similar symptoms including a runny nose and sneezing. In more severe cases they may have laboured breathing, runny eyes and refuse to eat or drink and as a consequence suffer from weight loss. To help avoid your pet from catching a cold, don’t handle him if you’ve got a cold yourself.

If you think your gerbil has started to get a cold treat him early as if the cold is severe then it can lead to bronchitis or pneumonia. For further information please contact your vet.

#4 gerbilmummy, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  5. metame

metame PetForums VIP

can't help with the feeding of the gerbils but just wanted to say hope you feel better soon!

6. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Feel better soon.

7. gerbilmummy

Why didn't I think of that :001_rolleyes: Yes, thank you lunajim gloves sound like a good idea.

Plus thank you all for the wishes.

8. Becs1051

Becs1051 PetForums Member

Ok, I never knew that gerbils could catch human colds before (always believed that viruses were species-specific) but I have had gerbils for over 20 years and have never given them one of my colds (and I'm not at all careful, I find there's nothing that helps as much as snuggling a gerbil against your face when you feel rough lol). Gerbils are surprisingly tough. As long as you wash your hands before you feed them and maybe don't get them out til you're better I'm sure they will be fine.

Feel better quickly!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice