Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Feeling really shaken up

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by BrucieBonus, May 25, 2010.

1. BrucieBonus

BrucieBonus PetForums Junior

A month ago I moved house and am settling in except for one problem- my neighbours. Their back garden is full of cages (one even containing a bird of prey!) and they have at least 2 jack russells. One is just a puppy, the other an adult. The adult dog is put in their garden at around 5 in the morning and barks constantly from this point for a couple of hours at least. It is also the same routine in the evening, the dog barks in the garden from around 9-11pm. This happens week days and weekends. It is very annoying but our neighbours are not what you call aproachable, and anyway we thought that having a dog ourselves, it would not be a problem if for whatever reason our dog barked occasionally (although he is not really a barker).

There is a room at the back of the garden which we leave the dog in when we go to work, however with the weather yesterday being forecast as being really hot we decided to let the dog have the run of the garden as we weren't sure how hot his room was going to be. Any way, one of our neighbours banged on our door at 8pm last night and screamed the street down saying that our dog was barking from the moment we left until we came back, we better f*****g shut him up or she would kill him. My partner apologised, tried to explain about the heat, but also put in that we dont complain about their dog barking incessantly early morning and late at night. This warranted another tirade of abuse, culminating in us closing the door and the female neighbour shouting c*** at us through the door.

I am really shaken up by this and am worried about leaving the dog in his room, he hasn't (to my knowledge) been barking when left there (i'm pretty sure from yesterdays reaction we would know if he did), but I am a bundle of nerves about it as I really dont want to live like that. I completely understand that our neighbours have the right to tell us if the dog has been barking as it is a nuisance and I want to stop it, it also means that he was distressed in the garden which I also dont want. It was just the way it was brought up, screaming/shouting/swearing, it really shocked me and I feel a bundle of nerves today. I dont know what to do and just wanted to know if people agree with me about the way this was handled. :(

2. davehyde

davehyde Banned

she sounds a loony to me.

report her to the police as assault isnt just about being hit. it also covers verbal assault too, and tell them you are in fear fo your safety.
    she sounds totally irrational to me.

3. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

what's worng with some people??! Do you know if they are council tenants/private tenants or own their home? Have any of the other neighbours had problems with them?
    If you really think that there is no way you can speak rationally with these people (& it doesn't sound it) then I would think about reporting them. Keep a log of everything that happened & speak to the council if they are renting, their landlord if they are privately renting or if they are home owners then speak to your community police officer. If you also have concerns about the animals in their care then you can always report to the RSPCA.
    Keep a check on your dog to make sure that he isn't barking (maybe a camera set up) & to make sure that they are not deliberately winding him up.
    I wouldn't leave him outside unsupervised despite the heat. (NB I have just bought a fan that is brilliant that may help keep him cool ......Buy BIONAIRE BT90R-IUK | Tower fan - Specification | Comet

4. slakey

slakey PetForums VIP

Are you unable to keep him in the house while you are out, I wouldn't trust the neighbours with attitude like that, to leave your dog outside.

5. dee o gee

dee o gee PetForums VIP

Id be very weary of leaving your dogs unaccompanied in your garden with neighbours like that. Check your garden everytime before you let him out just in case they throw poison over. Id also set up a camera to record your garden then at least if they did do something then you'l have proof of it, and you'l also know what your dog is up to all day and if he really is barking, but make sure its not recording any part of their property or they'l have an excuse to report you for breach of privacy.

If the cages in the back garden contain animals then id definetely report them if theres a cause for concern for the animals. Id try and find out what sort of bird that you describe as a bird of prey is, and find out is it legal to keep it in captivity, if it isin't then report them. If their dogs are barking then you could report it for noise pollution to the council (thats the procedure over here anyways so I presume you can do the same over in england?).
    If you don't want to go down the line of reporting them, and you may not want to as it may aggravate them more and give them more reason to make your life hell, then if your renting contact your landlord, if they can't do anything then just get the hell out of there as it will only get worse, you cannot reason with people like that and you'l always be worrying about your dogs safety.

ETA: Forgot to add take note of everything that happens, times and details of everything they say to you if they approach you again, turning up at your door screaming profanities is childish and not acceptable.

#5 dee o gee, May 25, 2010
    Last edited: May 25, 2010
  6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

You can report her for verbal abuse. Take a note of everything see if you can record it on tape or something so you have evidence. I wouldn't leave him outside I wouldn't put it past someone like that to poison him or do something while you're not there. If you're worried about any of the animals call RSPCA they're rubbish but they might at least give them a warning if the animals aren't being taken care of especially the bird of prey

7. BrucieBonus

Hi everyone, thanks for the responses, I feel a bit better today, came home yesterday and had no abuse on my doorstep. I have found out that the house is a council house and I have the contact details I can report them too. However i'm going to leave it for the moment unless something else happens, to keep the peace. She's such a hyppocrite though, her dog barked all through last evening and woke me up again at 5am this morning :mad:

8. mandy658

mandy658 PetForums Junior

Sorry to hear it we have someone like that too! Tried saying we leave our dogs in the garden all the time which we don't even to the point the cats scratch his vans to the point he has to get them resprayed, we've had the police and council involved but they do nothing, we've even had our cars keyed and tyre slashed, unfortunately we still have 6 months on our lease but I'm getting out asap!

9. Leah84

Leah84 PetForums VIP

i`d get the council involved and explain that not only does their dog bark but you and your partner are being threatened and she`s also threatened to kill your dog. keep a record if you can of all the times you`re disturbed by her dog and what the disturbance has caused you to do ie being woke up at stupid hours, not being able to hear the tv, setting your dog off etc. also inform the police of the threats you`ve received as that`ll help with any investigation the council do.

what a nasty piece of work she sounds, i hope you manage to get it sorted soon. maybe even record your dog while you`re out just to prove he doesn`t normally bark?

10. Kaydees

Kaydees PetForums Newbie

My heart goes out to you.

I suffer with very similar neighbours and have been since September 2008.

I have done the diary sheets, video, photographs, enviromental health, police, local council, landlord, local MP and my doctor.

Absolutely nothing is being done to help us. My next step is a lawyer and moving out of the home we have lived in for 14 years.

Don't let it go on - it will get worse as people (bullies IMO) like this do not see logic and reason and think that 'rules' are there for everybody else and not them. Be reasonable when you make your complaints but don't let anyone whitewash you. (My latest yesterday was a Police Inspector telling me that the Harassment Act was purely for people with stalkers)

Don't give them any reason whatsoever to make counter allegations against you - that then makes it '6 of one and half a dozen of the other' in the eyes of many. We have been fortunate - the last counter allegation we had made against us (that I am aware of) we had 2 police officers in our home taking statements at the time. This was because 2 hours prior I had been threatened yet again with physical violence.....

It's a pile of crock that anti social behaviour will be dealt with and I am so so sorry to read of yet someone else suffering with problems like this :(

11. BrucieBonus

I'm sorry Karen, that sounds horrendous, my heart goes out to you :( Mandy, i'm thinking the same thing about moving, its just a shame as we've only just moved in, and also need to stay here 6 months before we can give our 2 months notice which means at least 8 months there. Some people are just unbelievable.

12. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I really hope things don't get any worse, it must be awful. We are thinking of moving in the next few months & as well as looking at new houses I'll also be checking out the neighbours as they can have such a massive impact on your lives if they are complete b@st*rds.

13. Kaydees

Kaydees PetForums Newbie

It isn't pleasant at all :(

I now do not leave the house, even to go into the garden, without my camera.

When I take the dogs out I make sure I walk past community areas so I can use examples to prove I was out - this has included walking past the community centre when I know the Cadets are training, interacting with them in some way, so if needed can call witnesses. I take notes of police cars, fire engine and ambulance numbers along with the time so it can be confirmed with call out sheets.

I keep diary sheets of everything I do through the day - including walking up and down stairs. The dogs are not allowed into the garden even to do their toilet if next door are in. We have worked with a behaviourist to try and minimise any reactions our dogs have to the environment eg other dogs barking, banging on the walls and fences, people in the garden (yes they even climb into our garden) and our monthly window cleaning visit. The *$%£"$^* even whistle and shout our dogs names so that they can then complain about our dogs barking.

Problem is the police, our landlord etc never come to me with their counter complaints so I can dispute them. If they would tell me I could use them as forms of harassment (you need more than 2 instances of harassment) and get an asbo that way.

I will not give up though but neither will I rise to it and react in the way my neighbours want me to by shouting, screaming and fisty cuffs in the street.

I have never experienced a situation like this before and I hope I never do again - our next house will be detached in the middle of a field, nearest neighbours miles away :D

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I can't believe that people are allowed to get away with this. Why hasn't the police/council done anything to help you?

15. sailor

sailor PetForums VIP

I wouldnt leave my dog in the garden on its own, I would either have a run built or crate it inside the house, or even more simple, put a fan or two into the room where you normally keep teh dog.... you risk dog theft and also accidents happening while your not there... not to mention, now with the threat of it being killed :confused1:

I would set up a camera that can film your dog and garden while your not there, so you have your own proof of what your dog is upto when you are not there. just a simple cheap cam corder in a window, that can only see into your garden would be ideal

I would also make a diary of what is happening, regarding the neighbours barking dogs, animal conditions and their behaviour towards you etc.

So if anythiing comes up, you hava a full diary to hand and recordings of your dog/garden.

Unfortunatly as mentioned, sometimes you can do everything in your power, getting intouch with the council and police, but nothing happens... they dont seem to be overly concerned , unless someone has actually done something, like really has killed your dog, or physically attacked you.

Regardless tho, I would still keep diaries and record your garden, as a precautionary measure more than anything, just incase you need it as evidence.

Alot of people have birds of prey, thats not a crime, unless ofcourse its an illegal bird of prey which isnt allowed to be kept as a pet, in a cage in yiour back yard or a bird that needs a special licence to own and they havent got the licence ...
    if its kept in awful conditions etc, I would inform the RSPCA... but at the end of the day, they cant do anything unless the animals really arnt being cared for properly... and that is real basics... like dry shelter... medical attention if its ill or injured... and fresh water and food

At the end of the day, they are just animals and not everyone treats an animal like a memeber of the family, they are merely just kept as "pets" whether you agree with that or not, that isnt a crime, so long as it is atleast cared for appropriately

16. JjPhoenix

JjPhoenix PetForums Member

can you not report them? have to be honest, i definately would, to the police and to the council, nobody has the right to treat anyone like this and make you feel like this.

17. Kaydees

Kaydees PetForums Newbie

I always treated the horror stories in the media of people collapsing, committing suicide, being killed ect because of anti social behaviour with a pinch of salt. I believed that no-one would be forced to put up with behaviour so extreme. Sadly I was mistaken.

I really have no idea what has gone wrong and have asked all parties concerned for reasons why it has gone on for so long. Not one of them has got back to me which is why my next step is my lawyer.

The whole area was sent a blank URN in March by the councils' Anti social behaviour team. Despite how intimidating this family is (2 members of the family are in prison for violent offences) the area rallied together and we all made several complaints - but every single one was classed as an individual incident, given it's own URN and not passed back. I had a letter last Saturday to say the case was closed due to lack of evidence - only one complaint had been made on the URN. I wrote and also telephoned the team to explain and they are now trying to collect the information from the Police. It is also hampered by the fact that the ASB team job share and the person dealing with my case only works Thursday and Friday mornings :(

The Police have still not got back to me with updates following my visit to the local Inspector last week. I gave him URN numbers, copies of letters, dates, times etc when we had called was told a local beat officer would come to see us to get the whole story together. The Inspector was incredibly rude to me yesterday on the telphone when I called for an update so much so that I am now opening an official complaint. I am still awaiting the call I was promised I would get yesterday from the complaints division. I have told them that I appreciate I am not the only resident in our area that needs help but waiting almost 2 years is more than enough time for action. There has been absolutely no empathy from them whatsoever as to how stressed we all are by it. It is infuriating.

It seems to be a case of 'why bother' on everyones side - after all it does not affect them personally and I was always very pleasant when I contacted them. No-one knows how truly dreadful it is to put up with this behaviour day in and day out until they experience it themselves. I may ask my local MP to move in with us for a week and see how he feels at the end of it......

This is distracting from the opening post though, and I apologise.

Please don't sit back and think it was a one off, take action now and let your neighbour know that behaviour like this has consequences and is not acceptable.

18. Terr

Terr PetForums Senior

Report the crazy woman. An ASBO might inject some sense into her.

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

There has been so many stories of harrassment in the press lately though & it makes me so angry that people have to put up with this.
    I know that there's nothing I can do to help but I really wish there was, no one should be intimidated in their own home.
    I hope things get better for you soon.

20. Magnus

Magnus Keeper of a crazy little red dog!

I feel really sorry for anyone in that situation but, without wanting to start a politics debate, we have had a government for thirteen years that have pandered to the likes of this scumbag. We now have a breeding for benefits culture and feral children roaming the streets being anti-social, abusive and violent.
    I hope and pray that the new government will stand by its pledge to look after decent people and punish these serial no marks that seem to have spread throughout our country. Apart from the fact that they can spoil our lives they cost the taxpayer a bloody fortune too! I'm all for just using them as sandbags the next time it floods. :mad:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice